Transitioning: back to solid state....

Quandaries and time consuming frustrations...

This is a derivative of one of those tube vs. solid state amps. And, good god, I never thought I'd start one of these types of threads.

I've started some pretty stupid threads on audiogon, but this one might take the cake.

Anyways, after clicking my virtual system link, you are well aware that the centerpiece of my system is the not-so-reviewed and not-so-popular, the lowest of the low of all ARC amps, the CA50 integrated amp.

It is my first tube component, and I am in the process of replacing it. Tubes are simply a hassle for me, and, being too ignorant to know how to bias tube amps, I'd rather get a solid state. This way, I won't have to worry about purchasing megabuck NOS tubes or having to replace worned out tubes. Oh, and I'd love to leave the amp on ALL da time.

I've collected quite a lot of data in my cerebral databank about the solid state amps capable of replacing tube ones and are under $2000 used. The hit list includes Pass Alephs 3 or 5, 47 Labs' Gaincard, Bel Canto Evo 200.2, and Spectron's Troubador.

One observation I made when doing my research, besides the Spectron, Pass, 47 Lab and Bel Canto has received tons of reviews from professionals and amateurs alike with a one standard deviation of the population favoring each of these (That is about 95%). A great deal of these reviewers, including the professional ones, even tout these solid state amps as comparable or better than megabucks solid state amps and capable or residing comfortably in a tube lover's system as well.

With all this in mind, I've made the assumption/fallacy that I can replace my modest lowest end ARC amp with one of the fabulous solid state amps with improved sonic quality and ergonomics as well.

Assumptions, hypothesis, fallacies, whatever, they need to be tested, and, today, I did just that. I plopped down hard earned college tuition on one of the solid state amps that is mentioned.

What do you think is the result?
viggen
Hey Max, now I just need 29 more audiophiles fessing up to how many amps they've owned because you need at least 30 respondants to form a decent sampling distribtion.

Just a recap; I've had SS amp #1 in my living room for 80 hours now. At about 77 hrs, which was 3 hrs ago, I figure the amp finally warmed back up. It sounded full and detailed with tons of bass. In fact, a bit too much bass for me. So, I swapped out the Virtual Dynamic P2 PC and replaced it with a bass light Mapleshade PC. The amp suddenly started breathing. In other words, all the good stuff happened: sound stage, air, detail, and stuff. Previously, I thought the Mapleshade was the inferior PC. This goes to show, it's all about synergy.

Anyhow, I then went into my tool box and dug out two pairs of Mapleshade ICs. I first replaced the Harmonic Tech's Silway mk2 with a pair of Mapleshade. The same effect increased as when swapping powercords. Then, I removed the Alpha Core XLRs that I use as digital between the 3 digital devices I have, and replaced them with another pair of MapleShade ICs. You guessed it, much more of the same. But, most importantly, the vocals are no longer cold. The vocals aren't quite as intimate as when played through the CA50, but now it has more air, detail and presence.

The next thing I did was remove the 518 from the chain, thus the transport is directly connected to the dac via one Mapleshade IC. Boy, the chest thumping bass reduced to almost normal. And, vocals and melody are now flowing.

I still prefer the vocals on the CA50, but, everything else, the SS amp #1 is better. I also moved the speakers 2 inches farther from the wall, and this reduced the chesty bass by a bit. But, it is still more prevalent compared to the CA50.

I'd say I am almost there. But, SS amp #2 should arrive in a few days...
If you want to leave your amp "on" all the time...opt for Class A sound...both Creek and Musical fidelity make superb Brit intergrated amps...both in your 2k range...I sold my older Musical Fidelity amp in a momentary lapse of reason...and my system is suffering for it...good luck!
Hey Phase,

I don't want to go through what you went through, selling and regretting, thus I am doing this expensive and arduous process of amp auditioning.

First off, I realize I never mentioned the first solid state amp has passive attenuator built in, which probably created a lot of confusion for a lot of people. Actually, I might have purposely left that out in case it was a too obvious of a clue for you guys to figure out what amp it is.

So far, I'd like to thank everyone for giving me constructive advices and criticisms. And, I'd like to thank the gentlemen"s" for allowing me to acquire your very good condition amps at very good prices.

I've received the second solid state amp today and plugged them in a lil over an hour ago. This amp, as described by many many many many current and previous owners, needs about an hour to warm up, and it gets very hot. I guess you guys can figure out what amp this is now too.

I don't want to say too much about the differencs between the sound between the 3 amps just yet. Main reason is, I am just too tired to do so at the moment. However, I did plug the CA50 back into my system for a few hours lastnight. And, if I am to choose my fave amp at this moment, the CA50 is the better sounding amp, or, at least, the sound the best with the Tannoy speakers I am using.

The Tannoys are has a 94db sensitivity. People on AA and Agon often claim the two solid state amps I've acquired are bass shy with most speakers. In my case, or this can be a matter of personal taste, the bass with these solid state amps are too strong. Or, on the other hand, my speakers are, as mentioned before, designed to sound best with tubes.

Anyhow, I leave it at this for now, and let the new solid state amp warm up a bit more for the rest of my waking hours.
If the bass is too strong...try pulling your Tannoys into the room a bit more...in a small room....even a foot or so can make a big improvement...I personally like soundstage depth...but then again...I live alone...and have monitors in the middle of my living room...experiment a little...you might be surprised....
Hi Again,

Just to let you guys know, I solved the low end bump in my system as indicated earlier in this thread.

Right about the time I was going to leave the house to get some lunch, I thought, just for fun, I'd bi-amp my speakers with the ARC on top and, oh might as well say it, the Pass Aleph 3 on the bottom.

First 30 minutes impression: with all 45 watts of the ARC driving the HF of the Tannoys, the highs has never been free-er and open sounding with mucho more detail. with all 30 watts of the Pass driving the LF, the low bass was non-existent, but the midbass was creamy smooth with lots of presence. One thing about the Pass, you instantly feel a sense of energy in the room once you turn the amp on even without any music playing.

When playing my usual favorites such as Ivy and St. Etienne, the lows were a bit anemic. Thus, I plugged the Meridian 518 into the chain between the 500 and 563. The 518 smooths out the highs a bit and makes the lows more robuts. This was needed with music with more energy. However, when playing conceirtos such as Ryuichi Sakamoto's 1996, I prefered the sound without the 518.

After 30 minutes: The Pass now warmed up and is no longer anemic. It now provides a clear, liquid smooth mid range to mid mass with just enough low bass. I am not a big fan of low bass as you can tell.

Now I can listen to St. Etienne without the aid of the 518.

Anyhow, my system sounds incredible now, so I don't think I will be moving away from tubes just yet. I will, instead, invest in some NOS tubes to make the high-mids more sexy if that is possible then go from there...