Ok this will be a good thread.

What in your opinion is the most important part of a good 2 channel system. Or what has the biggest impact on overall sound. For example if you feel Speakers are most important, or Preamp, Amp, Source. I am not looking for a ss vs. tube debate, just what do you feel is most important.

I will start:
I feel speakers are the most important part. I know lots of you are going to say electronics, but keep it to one part, like Preamp, Amp, etc.
Steve
musiqlovr
The music you are playing is most important. After all, listening to music is what you spend you're money for. Right? Well, at least I do..... I'd rather have a simple system and some software then the best system in the world and nothing to play on it.....
Wow, looking at the archives for a source for room treatment materials I stumble onto this thread that has (well almost) as its central character none other than TWL. What do I learn? TWL sold Linn in the good old days! I should have known. With TWL it is a religious belief. Did your boss get to visit Scotland like the local dealer here to roister with the Emperor of analog and bond with him so that he could go on proselytizing? The most important link is the recording, bar none. Isn't that the "source". With great respect to all Linnites the world over.
Twl, while I am a bit new here-abouts, I compliment you in the consistency of your posts your posts, and you don't mind taking on the whole room in the process. Any such person, I do admire. Your posts are informative and provacative. thank you. Oh, having said that, you might be thinking that I will be adding the proverbial 'but' to my sentence.

[anything preceeding the word 'but' in the English sentence is to be regarded...]

Well, no. I have started with the source. The reason for this has to do with a visit to the McIntosh local outlet where I was auditioning the new six-channel solid state amp and then I asked the salesman to play the same piece with the McIntosh Mc 2102 tube amp. I was so shocked that i accused him of changing speakers when he plugged in the other amp. My God, the differance was so great that i had to go back with him behind the wall and watch him re-connect the cables to prove it was the same speakers. this proved the amp can make a huge differance. I have started with the amp...yes i bought the 2102 and I now own a really high-end Cd player. I shall soon be doing an addition to my house to hold it all and only then will I be changing speakers.

i all the others are indeed correct...I have lots to look forward to!