Have you ever deceived your wife-audio purchase

This could lead to a hysterical thread. How many audiophiles have come home with an expensive amp/preamp/and told their wife they bought it for practically nothing? Only to have paid 3-4K they had in their private stash? How many audiophiles have secretly installed a new "toy" in their audio system thinking their wife wouldn't notice. My old girlfriend thought anything beyond a boombox was excessive. Whenever I would upgrade my system,I would come up with some far fetched tale(lie) Would love to hear your story.......
Ag insider logo xs@2xkrelldog
Deceive is such an ugly word, gently misdirect maybe, but deceive never. Just once though, I would like her to say, that she can hear the difference with a new toy. Is that so difficult, too much to ask? It will never happen, but I know, we know, every change makes a night and day difference.
No, but I do an excessive amount of preparation for how and what I will tell her. Get all of the possible retorts covered and reasons/methods to overcome them - sort of like computer software game theory. I am not opposed to attempts of guilting her into agreement. However, she still has an advantage over me in that she is an aging female and at times trumps my well rehearsed combinatorial logic with hormone-influenced diatribes. Fellas, you young ones, will find out what I mean at some point in your relationship. It is inevitable. Sorry to break the news to you.
Hello Phaelon,
lol!
I won't touch that with a ten-watt pole - though I am tempted! Oh what the hey.
Have you SEEN the gatefold in the September "Pentode"? heeheeheeee
cheers
Audiobb, yes, to me, the difference between the words girlfriend and wife is like the difference between the words new and old. Quite large, if you will. I'm sure if you are with her long enough she will 'guide' you towards marriage, and if she's a smart girl, she'll even make you think that it was your idea. As they use to say on 'Ally McBeal', men are guided by their 'dumbstick'.

As for GG cables, yes I had a friend lend me a pair of Extreme interconnects and I bought a pair of Revelation speaker cables (which I will sell when I get motivated). The GG's have that great tonal quality that I've only heard from gold, but IMS, IMHO, the Jade Audio cables offer the same tonality, with a much better soundstage. So I'm currently using all Jade interconnects (Hybrid and Vermeil) and I'm still waiting for my Vermeil speaker cables to come in. I did prefer the PAD Dominus speaker cables to the GG Revelations, though I have since replaced the PAD speaker cables with Stealth Hybrid MLT speaker cables. I had a beta test run of the Jade Vermeil speaker cable, which had me very excited, though that was many months ago, and before I heard the Stealth Hybrid MLT's. I still look forward to hearing the production run of J.D.'s cables.

Cheers,
John
My wife has stopped asking. Therefore, I've stopped bending the truth.

I used to think she didn't know when a change was made. Ha! Then one day I changed out a black ARC preamp for a different black ARC preamp with the same number of knobs, switches, etc. She walked by a few days later and said "hey that's different". I was so suprised there was no way to get out of it through obvious double-talk, the trade up stories, etc. The worst part was, it wasn't even mine, I was just playing with a friends pre and re-tubing it for him.

A while back she came up with a new scheme (my music room had become relatively packed with gear by then). The new rule became that if I brought something in, I had to remove something of equal volume. She would actually stand there with a tape measure and calculate volume as I brought things in. That backfired however, when I figured out I could remove equipment in advance of a pending purchase. I'd be hauling stuff out, declaring it's volume and explain it was for the new speakers I hadn't gotten yet.

Then I finally broke down and got a 3rd job that just paid for the audio hobby alone. That pretty much stopped the issue in it's tracks. I explain up front that she should expect to see a new XXX in about 6 months. 6 months later you can have 3 buddies over to haul it in, make a mess, make noise far too late into the night and it goes just fine. Maybe being straight about everything but price helps. We both know she doesn't want to know.

I'm glad to see this thread again. I re-read the whole thing and it made me laugh again many times.