The heat of tubes...

I have been auditioning some tube amps in the last few months and now that the weather is getting warmer, I am noticing something very important....MY ROOM IS AS HOT AS HECK!!

How do you tube lovers handle this? I tried turning on the AC, but during soft passages, the sound of the AC just bugs me.

I need therapy...
matchstikman
I live in Seattle, and most of the time tube amps keep the room warm enought during the Winter, Fall and Spring without turning the heat on. What happens during the summer? well between Aug 1 and Sep 1, I open the windows. Tube amps are great in this climate.
Hey, Paulg805, I'm in Seattle too! Love the climate here, though the grey winters get old quickly. Got tubes and keep most in the closet where they heat my shoes and motorcycle helmets. At work the space is pretty large so don't have much of a problem there. I can't recall who it was on another thread...but I thought it was an interesting solution: Someone had their amps hung in the rafters in the basement down below their listening floor with the wires coming up through the floor. This would work to warm a perhaps otherwise cool basement too! Sorry I can't recall who posted that one or I'd certainly give credit.
I bought some ball bearing totally silent box fans to circulate the air above my CJ tube amps.
The only draw back in locating amps in closets, below floors is that I enjoy looking at my Cary 805, as much as listening to them. Many of tube amp are work of art, KORA, CARY, AIR TIGHT ....
I completely agree with you; I love looking at my amps too Paul, but my wife is not as much of a fan. Since my listening room is our living room I agreed to compromise (my marriage is more important than my system, shocking as that may seem). In fact, I think that was the subject of the thread where the gentleman posted about hanging his amps in the basement (though I don't recall that was his reason for doing so). They were Pass Labs Aleph 2's as I recall....out of all the BORING looking Solid State ("boat anchors") out there, I must say I do like the look (and the sound) of those Aleph's as well (used to have an Aleph 5). I prefer tubes though, and wouldn't mind looking at Cary 805's myself. I've brought this one up before, but if you want to see works of audio art above and beyond anything you've likely seen before; http://www.electronluv.com

So, as a further response to Paul's observation: I guess you could have some really great photographs done of your 'hot' components (contact myself or Albert Porter for that), and frame them and hang them in place of the real thing (which can then become the space heater for your basement or closet)!