OTL amplifiers

Can anyone explain to me, in layman's terms, the advantages or disadvantages of OTL amplifiers? I have heard a lot about them, but have not listened to any to date. I am really a tube fan and want to reach tube nirvana and don't know if OTL is the way to go. Are they suitable for all types of music? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dfrigovt
One of the reasons I purchased Atma-Sphere M-60 amps was low tube cost. A speaker that is a good impedance match is a good idea, but can be overcome with the use of ZERO autoformers ZERO Autoformer Website. I couldn't be happier with the performance of my amp/speaker duo without the autoformers however. The Atma-Sphere's do everything I could ask for. I think they're incredible and I love them. In fact, they gave me the same warm fuzzy feeling I had when I met my wife.

I will have to agree with your Mar. I would also include resto of the Hi Fi products into the same category: OVERPRICED!
I currently have a pair of Tenors. My last amps
were Bat 150se's. Both amps are very good, but
there is a thing that the OTL does that makes
you smile every time you listen to them. I'm using
Verity Parsifal Encore speakers(4 ohm) and the
Tenors do just fine in a medium sized room. They
do run out of steam at loud volume, but at that
level I'm sure there is some ear damage happening
anyway. You just have to hear OTL's matched to the right speakers.
Fuzzy feeling....I loved that. You are a lucky man, Wellfed. Hope you have it again and again and off the same sources!
Clueless, yes, those were wild and reckless days, there was hype of course, as always, but it was less brash, less cynical and Fulton was the only one with cables and a little later Mark Levinson, the man, before ML became Madrigal, his by the way were made in Switzerland. Futterman died much too early. Harvey did the repairing but mine never made it, because he was again in one of his bankruptcies. ( Did not have enough grannies, obviously )
Cheers,
Detlof, I'm going all nostalgic! I still have a pair of Mark Lev IC's.

Great stuff...
Futtermans driving Quad 63's (no protection circuit, of course), blowing up on me on a Saturday AFTERNOON...
There was lots of suspense then with the F's: are they biased? (never), will they play? (that's the exciting part).

Back to the question. Can't give tech & other details well covered above.
So, subjectively, OTL's offer an immediacy in the sound and, often, musicality -- I don't mean "tube warmth" (even order, benign distortion). Good microdynamics, giving these amps the "fast" label.

On the other hand, they're picky about the load they can drive, they're expensive and, until recently, not very reliable.