OTL amplifiers

Can anyone explain to me, in layman's terms, the advantages or disadvantages of OTL amplifiers? I have heard a lot about them, but have not listened to any to date. I am really a tube fan and want to reach tube nirvana and don't know if OTL is the way to go. Are they suitable for all types of music? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dfrigovt
Interestingly enough Detlof, Harvey's "wretchedly excessive" Futterman's are still being used by someone I know to good effect (last time I spoke with him) with nary a problem on a pair of Magenapan Tympani 4"s. I suppose he is one of the lucky ones or maybe this particular *Child* of Harvey has an intrinsically sweeter personality or received more attention during the formative years?
Tubegroover, Harvey DID have his inspired moments, which this "child" must have sprung out of. I alas, was not that lucky. By the way, I would imagine that this combination, you've mentioned, must sound absolutely heavenly.....

Hi!
(Some)OTL amps are amongh the best sounding amps on the planet. They mostly are very expensive but their performance justifies the investment. As Wellfed pointed ZERO Autoformers are the solution (except for the heat dissipance). And not only for OTL designs! You should check the Paul Speltz Website and read/learn about them. After a month (or so) of extensive use i became a believer. They are my next "investment"!
Cheers!
I really cannot add much to the advantage/disadvantage of OTL amps, except to say that they certainly do possess a magic and realness that is hard to beat.

But, I would like to say something about the Zero autoformers. If they work for you, and you like them, then please just use them and be happy. However, I feel they are not a good solution whatsoever. They steal most of the OTL magic out of the sound, imparting a very white, bleached sound which makes me feel as if I am listening to solid state.

In my experience, the way to do it is to find speakers which present the amp an OTL friendly(that means high impedance) load.

Not to take anything away from Paul Speltz; the man is obviously a genius, when it comes to AtmaSphere amps, and his mods boggle the mind. Using the Zero autoformers will allow people with not the best matching speakers to be able to use OTL amplification. But again, it simply does not sound nearly as good as doing it the right way.