adding power amp to receiver

will adding a power amp to my denon avr 2700 bring that much difference? reason for asking is that i've been listening more to music lately rather than watching movies. or, should i just buy a new/used integrated (budget $500-700). listening to classicals mainly. i have a rotel rcd 951. will appreciate suggestions...thanx
cyanzky
Slappy,

I have Denon avr2802. My current HT setup is 5.1. I am not very familiar w/ separate setup. However, based on your response, am I to reason that I can use a 2-channel amp to drive my two front speakers while watching a movie in 5.1 setup? Would my AVR use its internal amp to drive the center and rear speakers while it would send different signals to the front speakers, driven by a separate amp? Is that your recommend setup?
Totally man, you sure can do that.

the Denon is a good reciever in the fact it makes it easy to bleed a 2channel system out of your existing HT even if you dont have all the equipment.

You use the amp with the pre-outs on the Denon (if the 2802 has pre-outs) and run the fronts off of the pre-amp.

the beauty is if you want to leave your existing HT setup AS IS and want to get a 2 channel system, you can do it somewhat like the way i plan to do it.

here is the way i plan to build out a 2 channel system out of my HT and eventually seperate them

Currently, i have the Denon 3803, with all 7.1 speakers.

Step 1, buy the speakers for the 2 channel setup. Use these as another zone off the surround back channels. Theyw ill be amplified off the reciever

Step 2) Buy a good amplifier. Then this will power the 2nd zone and the reciever can start powering the surround back channels and go back to its normal 7.1 setup.

Step 3) But a good CD player and some good cables. wish i had that pre-amp already

Step 4) Buy a pre-amp, then i can finally eliminate the Denon 3803 from the 2channel setup, and use the Pre Amp

At that point, i will have totally seperate systems, I will probably continue to keep them somewhat connected so i can use sources off the HT if desired.

The cool thing is before i even have the parts for a real good 2ch system, i will have a 2 channel system that ain't that bad.
i added external amps to the mains of my yamaha rxv1(odyssey mono's)it was a solid improvement, next i will add a pre-amp with ht by-pass, this will give me a killer 2channel system while still using my ht.
thanx for the replies guys. i'm sorry i did not detail my setup and replied late. i have aegis ones for fronts, kef (k series, old ones) for rears, and infinity for center and, of course, a subwoofer. just want to clear matters regarding my options, which are: 1. adding a power amp, with my receiver acting as the preamp (the power amp with audio quality will drive the fronts) or 2. buying a dedicated integrated amp primarily for audio. the $500-700 budget is for the integrated. room is not that big, rectangular 5 x 12 meters. again, thanx...appreciate your response