In need of assistance: integrated amp selection

Hi, this is my first post although I have been "lurking" on audiogon for a while. My question is pretty simple, your advice is appreciated.
If you had $1500 or less to spend on an integrated amp and a CD player what would you buy? I would definitely consider used, and I have an open mind to just about any brand.
I just purchased a pair of Green Mountain Audio Europas, and plan to use Signal Cable IC's and cables. My room is approx. 15X18. My listening tastes are varied. The Europas are known to be efficient, so loads of power probably isn't necessary, although I would like plenty of reserve.
If you can't really recommend a certain model, a list of brands that you hold in high regard in this price range would be very helpful also. Thanks very much, jb3
jb3
Gunbei,

I think you are doing well enough with the Blue Circle gear. I am getting a Unico tomorrow to compare to the Creek, should be interesting. Add to the mix a CD25 just modded by Dan Wright (got it last week) and i'm ready to have some fun.

Regards,
Jb3-

I had Europa's for awhile, and a couple of amp/source combo's that were ~$1500. Depending on whether you like tubes or solid state, I would recommend the following:

Source -- I used a Jolida JD-100A with all of the amps below, and found it to be a wonderful CD player. I had previously used a Philips SACD 1000, and in many respects found the Jolida to be a more musical unit. I think for ~$550 used/stock, it's a great deal. For slightly less, the Cambridge (recommended above) and Music Hall units are about $300 used, and are well regarded.

Tubes -- My favorite amp with the Europa's was the all tube Jolida 502A integrated. I was using KT-88 power tubes. The midrange was just right with the 502A, and it really made the Europa's sing. I believe the 502a can be found for ~$600 used.

Tube/Hybrid -- Per Gunbei's suggestion, the Unison Research Unico has gotten very good reviews. I've never heard it myself. I did use a Jolida 1501RC with the Europa's, and while it sounded okay, it was definitely a step below the 502a. The midrange sounded muddy and congested in comparison. But, you don't have to worry about power tubes, and the 1501RC is about $500 used.

Solid State -- I used an Audio Analogue Puccini SE and the Audio Refinement Complete with the Europa's too. I think both of these units are among the best integrated's under $1000. With the Europa's, I preferred the Complete. It had better bass control (actually, the best bass of all the amps I mention), and a more dynamic sound. The Puccini is a smooth operator, but it sounded a little too laid back for me. Pete Whitley, who also has experience with the Europa's, mentioned that he had a problem with the Complete not having enough power for the Europa's. I never had this problem, but I never play music very loudly either. Something you might want to keep in mind.

Other than that, I think the Plinius is a great recommendation too. Never heard the Plinius with the Europa's, but I'm sure it would sound great. The 8200 might be stretching your budget, especially if you spring for a nice source like the Jolida (which you should!). Maybe look at the 8100 or 8150? I think those can be found for ~$1000 used.
Thanks for the compiment Matty!

I'd definitely like to hear what you think of the Unico and how it compares to what you already own. I had a chance to hear the Unico powering Triangle Antals at this past CES in Vegas. Very lively!

I didn't realize the Music Hall CD25 was such a bargain. What kind of mods did Dan do for you? Should be a fun listening session for you for quite some time!
The CD upgrade is the RAM CD mod created by Response Audio/Dan Wright. Tube output stage with 0 feedback, no op-amps, Jena labs wiring. Uses 2 Tungsol 5687's. It really is a beautiful job.

Regards,