When is Belles going to get the credit he deserves

Having been in the audio business for 20 years, owned a High End Store for 12 years, and Director of Sales for a notable High End Manufacturer; I sold just about every high end electronics line on the planet. Also, I was exposed to those few I hadn't sold during my travels while working for the manufacturer, visiting more than 100 stores all across the USA. So this perspective comes from a very broad look at the industry. Dave Belles is making, in my humble opinion, amplification and preamps, which outperform some which cost multiples of his pricing. Yet, when it comes to reviews, he rarely gets a mention. This is unfortunate, since it leaves the consumer, who is searching for great values,out in the cold.
It is true that he is a very small company, and hand builds everything, but isn't that the American Dream? "If I build it they will come" That is worth repeating; HE HANDCRAFTS ALMOST EACH PIECE. In a world of cookie cutter products this is a refreshing difference. The time has come for more people to be aware of his products; they are simply amazing. For the money they are a triumph of ingenuity. Also, some of the reviewers out there need to give this man his due. Marty DeWolf, I think it was, reviewed the 350 Amp, and was spot on on his evaluation. That is a wonderfully open and dynamic amp, and, for a very good price. Are we stuck on, "If they don't advertise, they don't get reviewed?
Comments please.
lrsky
Musical Design is another company that rarely gets mentioned...People hang on to their stuff like leaches...
Yea,
One man's "bright" sound, is another's "extended". I don't find this amp, the least bit "dark". In the first 48 hours, it goes through all kinds of changes, as all gear does, and that is one of its stages, that it goes through, but after just one week, it sounds awfully good.
It's just that, I am personally, frankly amazed at this amp-- for this price. Let's try something fun. (OK, so you have more important things to do with your time than I do) Make a list of all the 6K to 10K solid state amps out there, with comparable wattage. Then audition all of them and compare them to the Belles 350. I personally, and I know this is not emperically true because I think so, think that very few, if any, can come close in all areas. The amp is an honest rendition of music, to me. It is not "dry" sounding like some, so called "neutral" amps, nor is it bass, or lower mid heavy, like some "rich" sounding amps. So, for me it sounds just about right. More resolution? Maybe...but only with a lot more, a LOT more money thrown at it!
I just am amazed that something this good is so little known. Anyone out there looking to spend about 6K on an amp and preamp should at least look at Belles.
IMHO.
Larry
Reimer speakers is another similar product. Great sound and great reviews, but I rarely see them mentioned anywhere. He is a one-man shop, building a small amount for a few dealers and everything else on demand. He must be happy with his arrangement or he'd do more advertising.
In reading the posts, it is apparent that some people think that my desire for this product to get more positive recognition, somehow translates to, Dave Belles wants it.
Of course, as one person pointed out, maybe he likes the virtual anonymnity, and is EXACTLY the size company he wants to be. I was only surprised, that given how good it is that it doesn't gain more recognition; this is not to be confused with what Dave wants, or needs.
It seems that EVERY ISSUE of Stereopile lately raves about Mus-c-l F-d-l-ty. Just curious, that's all.
Good listening,
Larry
I and two of my friends got involved with Dave's products in late 80's and early 90's and they developed some reliability issues. The volume POT experienced clicking sounds, transformer would hum and power on lights burning out. Dave was slow to respond, very defensive and did not like repairing his product (you can still operate the unit without the light). Because of this we dumped what we had after it was repaird and moved on to other products. I think he partnered with someone else in the mid to late 90's to help with manufacturing and grow the business. So my questions are - How reliable are his products today?? If I am one consumer who has passed him by because of history, how many more have done so?? In all fairness, I would be willing to give it another try if people state there is a excellent history of reliability and customer service. How does that old saying go "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Dave Letterman still plays President Bush's butchered rendition of this saying and it is funny.