Tenor Hybrid v. VTL MB-450 Sig.

I am planning on replacing my VTLs with the Tenor stereo 150 hybrid . Since I will not be able to hear them first and since they are a substantial outlay over what my VTLs are worth, I am hoping that some of you may have heard both. Would you mind characterizing the differences that I should expect to hear? I have Merlin VSMMs, a First Sound preamp, and an Audio Logic 24mxl DAC. Other amps that I am considering are the Joule VZN-100s, or a CAT JL2. My pre-purchase buyers remorse is that they will be better but maybe not commensurate with the extra cost. I am aware of the higher cost/diminshing returns reality. However, from what I have read, these hybrids seem to be a huge step up. If I audition a piece and hear an improvement that meets my personal cost/benefit ratio, I buy it. So, with no personal experience with the Tenors, I am finding it is a bit difficult to make the leap to buy the most exp. piece of gear in my system. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. By the way, JTinn and I have had several conversations about this subject. He had been very helpful and generous with his time. In this post, I am looking for more of a comsumer point of view.
brooksl
I've really enjoyed reading this thread (or 'string' as Bobby calls it :-) and got a lot of laughs. Sounds like a bunch of guys with some different priorities and different ways of hearing things, but guess we're all after the same thing: music enjoyment. Particularly enjoyed Zaikesman's 'soup Nazi' quip and appreciate Bob's and Bobby's contributions, however diverse they may be. Jim2, you might want to lighten up just a touch, nobody's attacking you or your system.

Brooks and I had a fun chat yesterday, and we'll get together as he can check out a few things in his quest for the best. Meanwhile, I look forward to more helpful ideas to be posted.

Brian Walsh
Bobby, you said, "This greatly reduced an energy storage issue which John Atkinson picked up on in his tests."

This begs the question: Why did it take a reviewer to pick up on this problem for you to discover and correct it?

You mention a program of "on going research" yet this very very basic aspect of design, a simple resonance problem, was overlooked? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of your VSM... but how could you miss a design problem this obvious?
Brian Welch, why the condescending attitude towards Jim? He is passionate in his belief that Brooks has his speaker but maybe hasn't realized its potential. There seems to have been a few assumptions made that I wasn't aware of until Brooks's last post. I have little doubt that Brooks has not realized the potential of his Merlins. I've owned the speakers for almost 4 years and am continually confounded by how damn good they are and how all important it is to focus on the synergy of the upstream components and ancilliaries. So far as bass goes, I really wonder how many of you guys realize what kind of bass these speakers are truly capable of in the right room?

Bobby P has one hell of a design here and the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not real sure that too many folks realize HOW special the VSM really is and the potential for an audio system of the highest order? Yes Brian Welch, it is about musical involvement. I know a guy with SoundLabs and he thinks the VSM is one of the top 5 speakers on the planet, go figure. I think the Soundlabs are one of the top 5 speakers on the planet unfortunately I don't have the room, inclination for a 200-250 watt tube amp or space, what are ya going to do?
This thread is amazing I love it!!

We have manufacturer's posting: 3+/-
TG audio/CTC engineering,
Merlin(btw Bobby we met a few years ago at Mario's place in White Plains- I still liked how that room sounded with the prototype JL2- that was my first experience with your speakers) and
Shunyata!

We have Brian the super cool guy from Essential Audio. I have never seen this much interest in a thread from so many people in the business.

On topic I am a Tenor fan, I feel they are possibly the finest amplifiers available, but clearly they are not for everybody for obvious reasons(price comes to mind). VTL's are great amplifier's as well, but not in the same league of performance as the Tenor's. There are a few questions you need to ask yourself before you jump in any one direction, how much are you willing to spend? It seems like it would be worth while to get your speaker upgraded if that is an option from Merlin. I spent a long day of listening with Bobby at Toys from the Attic a few years ago and was really impressed with what his speaker's are capable of- the tweaks and adjustments he made to the system all day were amazing(after 8 hours it sounded like a completely different system). I can understand why you like them and feel that it would be worth looking into upgrading them. If your still not satisfied and want to continue on down the upgrade path I would urge you to arrange an audition on the Tenor 150s hybrid dual mono amplifier. I have listened to the original 75watt otl's and the 300 hybrid mono's and what they do NO other amplifier can do better- transparency and resolution must be heard to be believed. If you are happy with your speakers and are looking for that last bit of performance the Tenor's would be the way to go- IMO and they would be able to power your speakers with aplomb(though I don't think that is a high priority for you). In any case the advice given to you on 1-16-04 from Grant at shunyata(aka Samuel) was the best advice I have heard in a long time- don't put a lot of stock in what any one says here, including me. Good luck with your voyage and please keep us up to date with what you decide.
Tubegroover, I didn't mean to sound condescending toward Jim2 nor to anyone else and apologize if I did. Truth be told, and Bobby knows it, I enjoy visiting his room at CES each year to play some tasty vinyl cuts...always fun... Some of my customers have Merlins, and they are treated with the utmost respect just as everyone else is...

Brian Walsh