Leaving HT for 2 channel-Good or Not?

I originally was strictly 2 channel and loved it. Been into the audio for years. Went into HT but still maintained what I thought was decent gear for HT but made sure that I still loved what I heard in a 2 channel application. I did this because probably better than 90% of what I do is music primarily focused on Jazz and Blues. On occasion, the wife and I will rent a movie and run it through the system. Explosions and the such, WOOHOO!!! Plus, not happy with running that junk through some 8k$ speakers. Now I am thinking about dumping the multi channel amp and processor and going back to 2 channel but really don't want to make a mistake.

Has anyone gone this route and had any regrets later on? My dilemma is that I have one big room for both my Big screen TV and my music. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Good Listening,

Steve Bachman
sbachman
I have a high-end 2 channel system for music upstairs, and a decent 5.1 system for HT downstairs. I have no intention of them meeting one another!
Steve (and all)- Preferred transition path from 2-channel to HT is as simple as LEAVING THE 2-CHANNEL SETUP TOTALLY INTACT, and adding a HT processor, two rear speakers and a stereo amp. The front L and R channels from the processor go to a spare input (HT pass through on most later day preamps) on your 2-channel preamp; the rear channels from the processor go to the additional stero amp which in turn drives the rear speakers. ABSOLUTELY NO COMPRIMISING OF THE 2-CHANNEL SET-UP AND GREAT HT TO BOOT. No center channel necessary; phantom center channel mode in processor performs all duties of center channel speaker (but better). IMHO.