Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt all three speakers you picked are great. I think it will boil down to how well they mate with your equipment as well as your room. If you feel so inclined, you can describe the differences each bring to the table.
Matt, as you know I have liked the Hansen's when I've heard them in the past. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Marten's. I have heard their little brother as they were on my short list when I got my Vandy Treo;s as I found a used pair that I could have extended for and put off other purchases. I need to get down to NJ to visit and hear your Perfect 8's. I have never heard them before and like everyone else, I like to keep up and know what's out there. Those 12k Vapors are also on my wanting to hear list.
This is my list. It includes the speakers I put on my initial list of reference speakers that fit in my 15x18.5x9 foot room that I set out to hear, plus others that were not on my list but I was introduced to by friends or stores, or heard at shows. I did, obviously, not include the three finalists I listed above. I counted, and the list is closer to 35. Oops. And I might have forgotten a few, although I don't think so.

* - at dealer or friends house, properly set up
+ - at a show with a good setup
*+ - both

*+ Focal - Utopia Scala V2
*+ Wilson - Alexia
*+ Magico - Q3 & S5
*+ YG - Sonja 1.2 (without the bottom sub)
*+ Polymer - MKS-x
* Zellaton - Stage
+ Martin Logan - Neolith
* Peak Consult - Kepheus
* Kharma - Exquisite Midi S
*+ Rockport - Avior
* Estelon - XA
+ Kyron - Kronos complete system
*+ Kaiser - Kawero
+ Vandy - 7 mark 2
+ Von Schweikert - VR-55
+ Dynaudio- Evidence Platinum
*+ Kef - Blade
*+ Sonus Faber - Lilium/Stradavaria/Amati Futura
*+ TAD - Compact Reference
+ Scaena - The new one with the smaller woofer and 8 driver array.
+ Raidho - All of them. Don't like any but D1
*+ Lawrence Audio - Cello & Double Bass
* Joseph Audio - Pearl 3
+ Tidal - Contriva G2
+ Vivid - G1 & G2
* Stenheim - Alumine 3 way
+ Sadurni - Staccato horns
*+ Avantgarde - Duo Mezzo
+ Acapella Audio - Cellini
+ Audiomachina - Maestro S
*+ Tannoy- Kingdom Royal
+ JBL Synthesis - 1000
Heard just at shows and got enough to know "yes or no" but don't remember the model - Nola, Lansche, Eggleston, Meridian, Legacy

I have heard other speakers like : Langerton, USA Tube, Tyler, Westlake, Vapor, etc but the models I heard were too big for my room, so I didn't include them on my primary list.

I'm happy to share opinions on any of them.
Wow, quite a list. Thanks for the reply.

What did you think of the Kawero, Polymer, Zellaton, YG and Vivid? Those are the ones that strike my fancy best from the list.

Any plans to audition the Goldmund Logos, Boenicke W8, Acoustic Zen Crescendo II, and Franco Serblin Ktemas?
Heard the Goldmund in the city. Sounds best with Goldmund amps. Very good but not for me. That store had Kaiser, Raidho, Magico and Goldmund. I really liked the Kawero the best but they have 2 issues for me. First is that on certain tracks they get very bright. Like through my head bright. Where you frantically grab for the remote to turn it down bright. When that isn't happening they are truly stunning speakers. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to it then others, but I have now heard them in 4 different rooms including that store and 3 different shows. The same thing happened in all rooms with different equipment. The second issue is regarding design. They have a multi rear driver array which gives them incredible base extension. BUT, they need a LOT of room to really breath or they get flubby and lose. The manufacturer admitted that any closer then 4-5 feet from the front wall to rear of speaker is not ideal. My room doesn't afford me the luxury of getting the speaker out more home 3-4 feet off the front wall. So that and the brightness removed them from my list.

Acoustic zen are great speakers. I heard them at Axpona. They sounded great with tube gear, but nothing that took my breath away or caught my attention. Many speakers did that- very good but nothing that really set them apart from the rest.

Franco Serblin - nope. Never heard of them.

I heard the Boenicke W8SE+ At THE Newport with all Allnic amp/pre/front. About $150k worth of gear all said. They shined! I really enjoyed them. Like really. They caught my attention! And the fact that they are diminutive and gorgeous didn't hurt the lust factor. I actually went home and am trying to get one of my smaller local dealers to start carying them. With a variation in price from $8k-$18k depending on internal/external upgrades they are a wide approval factor dream speaker and worth the investment. All that said, they certainly are not in the same category as some of the $40-$100k contenders I was looking at. But I'd buy a pair for my family room in a heartbeat if I had the extra scratch!!!