Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Only a couple come to mind that are true time and phase aligned. Matt, I am searching the net to see a good list. I came across this posting about this subject. Not sure if it means anything other than how a speaker will sound off axis. Personally I have my position and don't really listen off axis, lol...I'm sure that's just me though.

"As for the companies you mention -- Magico, Vivid Audio, and Rockport Technologies -- none makes speakers that are time- and phase-accurate, even if the sloped front baffles of the Vivid and Rockport models look as if they might be. In all cases, they use higher-order crossovers to greatly reduce driver overlap, which have more phase shift " I like the Rockports I've heard. I"m just not a Magico guy (sorry). Heard Vivid once, but not enough to really say one way or the other. I know I don't like the older Thiel's and have no idea what they are making now days with the new company.

Looks like a company has to make their own speakers to get this right due to the overlap of frequencies. Off the shelf or even modified won't work based on some articles I've been reading up on. I"m sure someone here will have other ideas. This has become my favorite go to thread for learning and some of you have changed my mind greatly.

On another note, I have heard the whole Vandy line yesterday and the Wilson, Dynaudio gear (upper end stuff) the day before. All on Ayre Reference 20's. Those amps are possibly the best I've ever heard and yes I've heard many of the esoteric lines out there. I can't do Wilson's still. No emotion for me or layering. Very accurate though. I liked the Dynaudio a bit. Something was missing for me though and I can't even tell you what.

Back to Matt's question, but wanted to share.
Matt, for a checklist of manufacturers of time coherent speakers (which also implies phase coherence) see this post, and the response in the second post following it. Many of those mentioned will not meet your other criteria, however.

Note: "GMA" = Green Mountain Audio.

Regards,
-- Al
Wow what a thread, lol. So much disinformation being put out at times based on what some top designers have said. Some do get it though. No design is the be all end all, however those of us who listen to a speaker with these parameters will usually enjoy all the ones who do it well (i.e. make/design their own speakers and use TOP grade components in the overlapping xovers etc..). No it's not easy and it's expensive to do. I think that's why many designers don't go this route. For some of us, we don't care what others say about a component. We may listen and go hear something based on what is said or reviewed, however if you trust your own hearing, you will be fine no matter what you decide to get. I know Matt enough to know he does know what he's listening to, but like everyone, the more we hear the more we appreciate the difference between good and great. Ton's of good out there, but not a lot of great I don't think.
Yup. I think the Vandy 7 is It in that regard. That's what I thought.

I listenend to the Vandy 7 yesterday with Pete and John at Audio Connection. What I learned was 2 important things:

1) John is a very nice guy with an extensive fund of knowledge.
2) Getting together with audio friends I have made from the forums doesn't happen frequently enough and it's always fun and a good time. Thanks for initiating that Pete!

I'll keep all updated on my progress.
Matt

I am not aware of many except Vandersteen that meet that list of criteria. I think you are thinking in the right direction of the technologies etc that you should be evaluating. I also think there is no substitue for being able to tune the bass to your room and them place the speakrs where the imaging and soundstage are the best. BTW your new room looks great and I love the Burmester gear you have selected. IMHO a speaker must look like a piece of it blends into a home not belongs in a studio somewhere. To be able to place the speaker in a appealing location in the room that images the best and looks the best and then not need to totally fill your room with lots of room treatment is a huge plus. I was at a dealer recently that built a new sound room and there were 71 pieces of room treatment in the room. When I asked about it they said that is what it took to get there World Class speaker to sound there best. Not many of our spouses will allow that in our houses and fewer yet can afford that much room treatment.

Jeff