Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

Good vinyl has at best 30-40db of channel separation at 1khz, either side of this it's much worse 10-20db, compared to Redbook over 100db all across the audio band.

If you put L&R channel bleed network on the output of a cd to mimic the channel separation of vinyl then cd becomes much like vinyl to listen too, more "monoized" for want of a better word, for those that like vinyl better.

A good thing would be a switch on the back of a cd player/dacs to mimic the channel separation of vinyl.

I've done this, but with a simple crude network that destroys the separation to 30db channel separation right across the band, and to my listening it made many recordings easier to listen to (especially older ones like Beatles ect).
It's not right, but it can be much more pleasing to vinyl lovers, as it doesn't tax the brain as much, and adds a richness to the sound.

Cheers George
Actually guys, about 95% of my listening is digital. Very little is vinyl. I love it and it's special to me, but Its just not as convenient as my computer and my Iphone. Sorry to disappoint.

I looked at Trenner. Their reference speaker requires 4 monoblocks or two stereo amps to drive. I can't imaging buying another two 911mk3's! Oy!
Chipless PCM is not possible. PCM is really digital, while DSD is quasi analog.

The bigger Trenners like the ISIS will overload Matt's room.

I am thinking that the Boenicke W8s, Rethm speakers, Albedo HL 2.2/Aptica, Kaiser Vivace or even the Klanwerk Ellas would be the right thing for his room. Personally for emotional involvement, he would do well to look at the Heil AMT Kithara with Bassplate, BUT its not a big looker and has low WAF. Thet giant Heil tweeter is bewitching though and goes down to 400hz and crossed at 650hz...28hz bass....and MUCH cheaper than most others in that league. Vince from Tricell in Canada is the contact for that.
Matt, I expect the Micro Two will be a killer:

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/microtwo/

I will ask around for pricing...
EA Micro Two:

They are hoping to keep them in the $8,000 range/pair. They are going to be approximately 42 inches tall.

This thing is long delkayed though...