Why the switch from Kharma/Tenor to DarTZeel/VSA

Perhaps, its like that old joke that Woody talks about in the beginning of Annie Hall:

"And it goes like this-I'm paraphrasing: Uh ...
"I would never wanna belong to any club
that would have someone like me for a
member." "

But, why does it seem that some of the original Kharma/Tenor/emm labs club members are switching over to DarTZeel amps and Von Schweikert speakers. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like there are many Tenor hybrids or Kharma speakers going up for sale ... yet
thom_y
Metralla,

You're absolutely correct, as I omitted the line before (sorry Groucho):

"The-the other important
joke for me is one that's, uh, usually
attributed to Groucho Marx, but I think
it appears originally in Freud's wit and
its relation to the unconscious. "
You both obviously have not heard the VR-11's. I am able to hear what the best my gear can put out. I had the reviewed pair of Kharma Midi Grands with Enigma that Frank P wrote in on Stereotimes. I find the Von Schweikert to my ears, compared to the Midi's, better in all areas and I know those Midi's are better than your Kharma's you are comparing the VS to Nrchy. Just my opinion though.
AFAIK Metralla heard the VR-11s in Las Vegas (he said, "Based on my auditioning") as did I, and he and I got together several times during the show.

Most likely a matter of preferences as well as manufacturer/dealer and dealer/customer relationships. Some of this is verifiably true.

Brian
You're right Brian. It is about preferences and I am sure most dealers do have that dealer/customer dealer/manufacturer relationship. You have this relationship too don't you?

I am not saying the Kharma's are not great. They are but I liked what I heard from the VR-11's better. As far as the DartZeel, I liked what I hear from the Tenor compared to the Dart I had in my room even though the Dart is the best musical sounding solidstate amp I have heard.

Michael
Hey Mike!

I only have one slight caveat on your comment about the Kharma/Von Schweikert comparison:

VR-11s = $120,000

Kharma Midi Grand = $36,000 - 40,000

Do the math. The VR-11s BETTER be better for 3 times the price!!! This is like saying that I compared these two automobiles and that darn Mercedes SL 500 is better than that inferior Buick Regal. I know that when I sold the Midis and went to the Exquisites (also at 2-3 times the price), my sound improved in every parameter and justified my decision to buy them. However, I tried to resist the unfair comparison between the two for this very reason.

Hey guys, it is ALL personal preference. I have always liked and been very impressed with the Von Schweikerts I have heard and if Albert can do with the VR-9s and 11s what he's done at lower price points, they surely will be special. You must also realize that a NUMBER of VR-9s have been sold to the same people who own Kharmas by the same dealer that sold them the Kharmas and that they have not heard the VR-9s because there are no VR-9s even built yet. They have purchased either on the promise of the VR-9 garnered from the impressive twice the size and cost VR-11s (no problem with that) or from their trust in their dealer's judgment (no problem there either if he has done you right in the past).

The bottom line is that we are all chasing something - whether it's the best sound, the best deal or owning the trendy component du jour, does it REALLY matter? It is OUR money and we all have the right to chase what will make us happy for our money.

For me, I am always open to anything that betters my sound but, at least at this point, I don't see my speakers going anywhere for a while. But, as I know, things may change as I have been proven wrong too many times to mention.!! :-)