Why the switch from Kharma/Tenor to DarTZeel/VSA

Perhaps, its like that old joke that Woody talks about in the beginning of Annie Hall:

"And it goes like this-I'm paraphrasing: Uh ...
"I would never wanna belong to any club
that would have someone like me for a
member." "

But, why does it seem that some of the original Kharma/Tenor/emm labs club members are switching over to DarTZeel amps and Von Schweikert speakers. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like there are many Tenor hybrids or Kharma speakers going up for sale ... yet
thom_y
My guess is that the DartZeel is a little more melliflous, for better and for worse, than many amps--I believe there was a review in Positive Feedback, or one of the on-line zines, that expressed admiration along with some reservations about the sound and price.
I think the combination of transparency and slam with the V.S.'s is quite intoxicating, but the Kharmas may--I'm not sure--be a bit more refined.
One more thing: the corollary of your statement, Frank, would be that you, and you alone, have the perfect system!
As you said, the best solution is to listen for yourself. If you can, try out lots of different speakers, in, below, and above your price range, including of course VSA and Kharma. That way you'll be absolutely sure when it comes decision time.

FWIW, I switched from Tenor to Dartzeel based on a decision to get out of tubes--provided I could find a SS amp that rivalled, or exceeded, the very best tube units in my experience, including the Tenor 300 hybrids. Luckily enough, I found one, and that's why I switched. Can't speak for anyone else, though.
Gladstone, you are quite correct my amative and discerning friend - I believe that I have found the Holy Grail!
But have you been allowed to touch it? Remember: Lancelot was only allowed to see it, not grasp it.
Mark, if someone is happy changing his system every six months or so, there's no point of further discussion, cost not being an issue. Some people go through cars, boats, whatever often enough to make your head spin. Auto nervosa? Not much different from audio nervosa, and many go through that. But it's nice to get off that bus once you find a great lasting solution that really works.

Some years ago a guy around here with pretty good gear ranted about having gone through tens of thousands of dollars' worth of cables and whined that his system "still sounds like sh--." What he spent was his business, but I felt sorry for him.

Brian