To buy or not to buy Audiolab 8000C

Hello there. I'm in such a dilemma. There's a unit of Audiolab 8000C preamplifier I've been given to try out for a couple of weeks. I find the preamp pretty neutral by my standards. I have been hooking up my CD player direct to my volume adjustible power amp direct, hence clarity, is nothing new to me. Even the CD player has electronic volume control but I find it troublesome as it's set to max every time I turn it on and I have to bring it down manually.

With a preamp, the volume is easily set to comfort levels before turning them on.

Problem is, my budget is limited. And the seller admited that he has changed the toraidal transformer in the audiolab 8000C recently. I always belived that electronic components have a limited life span. When one component goes, does it always mean others are going soon? Would I be buying a dying old woman whom I cant have children with? I suppose I could ask for a bargain, seeing that even the mostly used RCA jacks at rear panel are slightly shaky (not sure if they can be adjusted) and may allow the interconnects to contact each other. But a local shop once offered me a preamp with remote priced 50% higher than what this guy is offering and that one is new. This is used and has no remote. Two uncertainty on the new unit - brand and sound quality. With a remote, yes, the thing about convenience is rated higher but sound may be in question. Planning to go the the shop to audition but thought perhaps I could first get some insight on the worthiness of buying a used preamp aged nearly 10 years.

Any advice appreciated.

SJ
dewitgoh0df4
Good advice, I think, in both posts above. Just to add to that info, I have an Audiolab 8000A, built circa '86 which is still running strong. I have, however, had to re-cap the phono stage, which I did a few years ago, so this may well be an issue that may be imminent with a 10 year old piece. To be honest, I have never been totally satisfied with the re-cap on the phono stage, having taken it to a local tech who improvised and fixed it to the best of his ability. I have a feeling I definitely lost something with that re-cap, but if the phono stage is less important to you or unimportant to you, this is definitely less of an issue.

The loose rca's on the other hand might be more of an issue. As an upgrade (and I am not gifted with a soldering iron, much less any other piece of equipment used for manual labor), I had the rca's replaced on my 8000A with Cardas' a few years ago as well, (which cost me about $200 Cnd. or about $130 U.S.). This was a fairly serious upgrade sonically, and with extensive chassis damping as well (very cheap to do), I feel that I would have to spend considerably more (as in 3 to 4 times what I have invested in my ancient 8000A) to get a a worthwhile improvement in amplification and my 8000A is still a very strong piece of equipment. The Audiolab stuff, in general, is built like a brick "s+_*%$#use" and is very neutral as well as very tweakable. I think, as Sean said above, if you pay a few hundred for it, you can spend a bit more if need be and still be very happy. But you don't want to go chasing 10-15 year old equipment in this day and age.
Thanks HDM,

Yeah... the RCAs kind of worry me. They're like rotten teeth with loose roots. They dont really touch but I think in time, over frequent plugging and unpluggin, they just may contact each other... and this isnt good. The mounting of the RCAs is somewhat hidden from view, even with the casing opened. All I could see are 2 tiny tabs that stick out from a plastic part screwed to the rear panel. And the connections to the PCB makes it look difficult to adjust, if that's at all possible.

Hm, this is tough decision. On one hand, pretty neutral although aged. On the other hand, questionable remaining life and potential problems errupting in the future. If I was in the US, I could probably throw out the deal... but here in Malaysia, the worst piece of equipment... even the most basic Denon and Rotel aged 15 years still hold high praise and owners are still asking for a big price. With 10/15 years passed, it's quite a scary thing to do... and my wife is already showing signs of disagreement... she's already asked numerous times... "are you going to get that thing?" and I said... "erm.... not too sure.... see how it goes..." and here I am, consulting all of you gurus. :)

I suppose the next best thing to do would be to visit the mall which has the USD420 preamp waiting there and go for a listenning session. One thing I feel uncomfy about that is the difference in setup. Their player could be better and power amp and speakers could be Macintosh and Bang&Olufsen. How can I complain? *sigh* Anyway, whatever it is, hopefully, I could make the most out of my visit.
I'd hold out for $180 and if he sells it great, if not then it's no loss. Loose RCAs are often very simple to fix, even if you have to put in new panel-mount RCAs and wire them to the PCB. Even better, if you know the distance to the source (CD player I assume) then remove the RCA plugs from one end of the interconnect and solder the interconnect directly to the PCB. This removes not only a connection, but a large portion of capacitance from the interconnect. I have done this on my DAC, and the improvements were not small.

So don't sweat the RCAs ... have a good listen with quality headphones and make sure you like the sound.
Wow Seandtaylor, you're pretty daring there, removing the RCA. There's a shop in my area that does "component upgrades" etc which may be able to help me there. At the moment, I have a thought - to swap the CD RCA and power amp RCA with others on the rear panel that arent used so frequently. That's if I cannot fasten the loose RCAs. But, this weekend, to the mall, and more questions for you guys after the audition. The owner will be back from vacation in Russia by 29th... woops... time running out. :P
I would agree with Seandtaylor99. The price for the unit shouldn't go above $200 and whatmore with lose RCA's! $180 should be just right. The RCA's are not an issue since you can get them changed to quality WBT plugs which will give you quite a substantial improvement. I would worry about the toroidal though since it's not original. Nevertheless, if it's properly done then shouldn't be much of an issue either.