Best preamp/ Amp combo or intgrated amp??

I'm moving and need a new amp/ pre amp or intgrated amp. I don't have fine tuned ears, and will primarly be listening to classic country, classic rock or blues on this system. I have about $500 to spend on the amp and was wondering what kind amp would be best to power the old infinity electro static speakers I have (I have no idea of the model or make). Unless you think that these are junk then I also have about another $500 to spend on speakers. Also how do you know whch amps and pre amps go good together? What do you reccomend?
mattythegreat
I have no knowledge of Infinity electro stats but, it has been posted quite often that in general electro stats are very power hungry. As far as separate pre/power goes I can't think of any that are in the $500 range. I would suggest the NAD 320BE integrated that retails for $399. I wouldn't think this would be enough for the Infinity's so, go to your local Hi-Fi stores, not the big retailers, and ask for help. You will find that most hi-fi shops will help you get the most for your budget and will account for all of the factors that help and hurt a system, unlike the box pushers. Listen to as many different models as you can in your price range then make your decision. In the end, buy what sounds best to you.
You might consider a receiver instead of an integrated amp. You can purchase a used luxman R-117 receiver for approx. $280 on Ebay (from a high ranked seller) when they become available. They have 160 watts/channel and have a cd bypass switch and can take a MC cartridge. The nakamichi stasis SR-3 is a sweeter sounding receiver but only 80 watts/channel and can be purchased for $150-200. I would then spend the rest on speakers. If you have the room you could get used magnepan 1.6 QRs for $750-950.