solid state gear- leave on?

Is it good idea to leave solid state power amps on during the day if they don't make much heat?
samuellaudio
Barring Global warming and "gassy cows" It is great to leave SS on all the time. I leave my Cd player and did leave my SS amp 24/7 and they do sound better. I can't believe that something that simple makes a difference, but it does. I use tubes now so that idea is out, but the CD player stays on just the same.
If nothing else I got something out of this thread.
I had no idea it was best to leave your gear on 24/7.
Dave
Maybe a more honest answer is that neither the heat from leaving it on all the time nor the effects of cycling it on and off are likely to have a significant effect on the longevity of SS gear. As to its impact on sound quality, speculate away.

To Tireguy: You confuse cycles and trends (and ignore the bulk of inconvenient evidence). But your attitude doesn't surprise me.
I too am forced to respectfully disagree with Pabelson. Turning an SS amp on and off daily is -the- action that shortens its life more than anything else (given the presence of adequate ventilation, of course).

Also in response to Pabelson, SS amps pull differing amounts of current depending on their design. Many pull very, very little, especially when idle. While I agree with you about our obligation to confront global warming and the dependence on Middle Eastern oil, I don't think it should be made into an issue here.
http://greenspin.blogspot.com/2005_01_16_greenspin_archive.html#110624989534938648