solid state gear- leave on?

Is it good idea to leave solid state power amps on during the day if they don't make much heat?
samuellaudio
I also must disagree with Pabelson's take on a couple of points:

"Tubes take a long time to settle in, so keeping them on makes some sense; for SS, just turn it on a few minutes before you start listening."

A) Tube gear requires less, not more, warm up time than solid-state to sound its best. The fact that tubes need a minute at the start and transistors don't is a red herring that I believe you're confusing with the more important aspect of how a piece of gear will sound over, say, a typical 2 hour listening session if started from cold. Tubes will be most of the way to their best after 15-20 minutes, but transistors will need at least that whole 2 hours, and preferably a whole day to really come into their own. Saying that you can flick on SS gear a couple of minutes before you listen and hear everything you paid for is naive, although if the piece of gear in question has a semi-powered standby state the difference may not be nearly as great.

B) In most cases it makes much less sense from a practical standpoint to leave tube gear always-on - you'll wear out your tubes several times quicker. And if we're comparing class-A/B power amps, then regarding energy usage ethics, the tube gear will draw much more power at idle than the SS.
Well said Zaikes....Pabel's advice was the opposite I've learned and heard over the years...my NOS tubes aren't cheap and I leave my SS power amp always on and the tube pre and cdp I ignite about 1 hour before listening and turn off when I'm done.
My experience leads me to believe that leaving my SS gear on all the time is crucial for best performance. Anecdotal evidence: coming back from a 4 day weekend w/ my gear powered off, it took at least 4 days to sound good again. That convinced me to leave them on 24/7.

However, in the February "Stereophile" review of my amp, the reviewer stated that the amp sounded good after 20 - 30 minutes and didn't improve after that. Oh well.

Also, longevity doesn't seem to be an issue for SS gear w/ literally thousands of on/off cycles. My old Hafler and NAD SS gear were always turned on and off. They're both still going strong at 25 years and counting.
Leave your equipment burning if you want to replace it. Your local retailer will love you. I have spoken to at least ten manufacturers and not one of them advocates keeping your equipment powered up if not in use. I repeat, NOT ONE! If you are sitting down for an extended listening session with other audiophiles, power your equipment up about 1 hour in advance and you will have all of the sound you are going to have.
Elinor: I work on electronics for a living. The gear that gets cycled off and on the most and / or isn't used for extended periods of time is the gear that comes in for the most repairs. Both of those problems are related to in-rush current, higher than average current consumption and massive thermal swing. This is what damages componentry the most. That is, unless the product runs phenomenally hot and isn't built to dissipate that much consistent heat. It is easiest to avoid these problems by not powering the device down. The device maintains a more consistent operating temperature, there's no in-rush current involved and current is only drawn as needed.

Gear that doesn't take very long to thermally stabilize and makes use of "soft-start" circuitry is fine to cycle up and down. Obviously, tubes and lasers have finite lifespans, so one should take care of how they use these. This is not to say that turning off a laser based audio device is beneficial ( it typically isn't in terms of sonics and thermal stability ), but that the lifespan of the laser may be reduced if it isn't. Replacing a laser on most of these devices is not hard though and should be done after a period of time anyhow, as output levels and calibration fall off due to use one way or the other. Sean
>