cones or amp stand-???

hey- which is better- I have a concrete floor covered with carpet-Am I better off putting my amps on a stand or using something like audiopoints directly to the amps?? thanks gary
bebop86
Either would more than suffice. But if you use an amp stand, I'd highly recommend using AudioPoints under it.

-IMO
I don't know whether you have tube amps or SS but I can think of no real benefit of coupling any amp to a concrete floor, nor do I see any downside from doing so. BUT, I would get the amp off the carpet to increase air circulation, using any kind of cones or stand. Could be a good Saturday project in your work shop if you are so inclined. You need not spend a lot of bucks on this unless you are just doing it for appearances. IMHO.
Newbie, the benefit of coupling the amp to the concrete floor using AudioPoints, or an amp stand with audiopoints under the stand and under the amp is to minimize the affects of vibrations and resonance on the components and ultimately on the sonics.

By coupling the amp directly or indirectly to the concrete floor, he is essentially creating a mechanical conduit for internally generated resonace and externally captured vibrations have an expedited exit path draining the the resonance energy away from the component and rack before it has time to accumulate and wreak havoc on the sonics.

This coupling methodology is quite simple and when executed completely with all components, rack, and speakers will produce an incredible increase in performance. In fact, the gains are in my experience equal to or better than a serious component upgrade.

Personally I've never had the pleasure of coupling to a concrete floor. Only hardwood and wood subflooring systems. But those I've worked with who know far more than I tell me that concrete is the best flooring system for coupling.

-IMO
Stehno, with all due respect, your post sounds like nothing less than a recitation of all of the advertising and promotion by Starsound for their products. When it can be demonstrated that any vibrations that will drain from an amp thru any kind of points or spikes, let alone "Audio Points", to/into a concrete floor and dissapate therein and be of sufficient magnitude to in any way affect the sonic properties of the amp, I'll buy you a steak dinner. Theory is cheap...

Frankly this kind of claim, IMHO, is absurd unless one can benefit from the sale of a product, and then its to be expected as routine product puffery. But I'm sure the Starsound folks appreciate your loyal support. :-)
Now, Newbee, you're not demonstrating an open mind here. :)

I'm so convinced that what Star Sound says works, that I started my own company. Here's a couple of urls for my exhibit at THE Show:

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&ST_0002&RoomView&ST&st1&&&&&THE05

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&ST_1204&RoomView&ST&st1&&&&&THE05

I'm just a country boy when it comes to this stuff, but I know what works and it's pretty incredible when done right.

Theory is cheap, steak dinner is more expensive, and your plane ticket to fly here to take me out to dinner after I prove a cheap theory to you?

Priceless. :)

-IMO