Mark Levinson 26 pre amp

Dear sirs,

It is so hard to find a 26 preamp now. I have purchased a 27 power amp and everyone told me I should match it with 26 preamp but I just can't find one in ebay or Audiogon for few months already. Can any one help?
ken1967
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I waited almost a year to find a 26s, and another 6 months after that to find a 25s.
how does the older pre and amp ( 23.5 and 26) compare to the newer one
i have 380s and 336 what are the sonic difference.
A1126lin: The 380s is a great preamp and it has remote volume which is a really nice feature BUT there's something about that mid-90's Levinson/Madrigal gear that has never been surpassed sonically (except for the Cello gear produced at about the same time.) What I'm referring to "sonically" is the musical, almost tube-like quality of the sound, yet still retaining the sharpness and accuracy of SS. The 26 preamp and 23 amp were the first attempts. Then, for the 26s and 23.5 they went to teflon printed citcuit boards and a higher quality of board components. The results were absolute magic. Same for the phono preamp, the 25 versus the 25s. People still covet the 25s as one of the finest, quietest, high gain phono preamps ever made.

If you check out my system components, you'd think it would sound very bright, but it doesn't. It's alive, very accurate and revealing, but it's not hard or edgy. You can listen to it all day long without fatigue.

If you onlyheard a 380s/336, you'd be justifiably impressed -- but it can get better. What can I say? That mid-90's Levinson gear is like apartments in New York -- you practically have to wait for someone to die before it's available!
does you 23.5 have xlr and rca input as well?
how about the 20.0, 20.5 or 20.6 monoblock
any comment?
thanks
A1126lin: You don't want a 20.0, or a 20.6. You want a pair of 20.5's.

The 23.5 has XLR's and Camac/RCA (the Camacs were replaced with RCA's in the later production runs.) It can also be bridged (400W into 8 ohms)

I'd love to have a pair of bridged 23.5's! (To be honest, I've never heard what a bridged 23.5 sounds like -- maybe it sounds crappy!:~)

Also, unlike some amps with fake "balanced" inputs (eg Rowland, Audio Research, ......) the Levinson gear is fully signal-balanced throughout the chain of components -- from the preamp input > output > amplifier.