Supratek Tubes and Tube Swappin' for Everybody

I will have a Supratek Chenin in my set up in a day or so. Since so many folks are rolling tubes around here I was hoping to garner a comprehensive list of everybodies favorite tube compliments. Be it NOS or NIB or WLATB (Whatever's layin around the basement)
Being that the "Deal of the Century" thread is a little more like a novel I figured this would be a good place to post questions and answers related to one subject of Supratek amps and pres.
On to the subject of me. I don't have immediate plans to swap tubes as I've figured that Mr. Maloney would supply us with something listenable for the break in period. But, since so many have reported such dramatic improvments I want to ask this question:
What is your favorite compliment for quietest gain and dynamics in the phono stage?
I will be using the Chenin exclusively for vinyl ( I don't have a CD player) and listen to loads of early rock and roll and Jazz bands, smaller jazz bands mostly, quartets and quintets. Some classical, the usual Beethoven and Mozart, but usually just a lot of loud garage rock.
Ok, now lets see what happens.
mc5baby
Hi Gang. Raytheprinter, the ge 6sn7gtb sidegetter is a very good inexpensive tube option for those that don't want to pay the price for a pair of kenrad blacks, tung-sol rounds,or the metal based sylvania vt-231. In my experience... there are only 4 to 5 6sn7 types I could live with in the supratek and all of them are rather pricey,with the exception of the ge sidegetter. The ge sidegetter [gta or gtb] is the a very well balanced tube, with a midbass punch and resolution that will compete or surpass any of the tubes mentioned above . Further more....it is clean,clear and typically very low in noise with no microphonic tendencies so common in the better sounding 6sn7's. No...it doesn't possess the midband bloom and holographics of the Ken's or tungsol's but it is certainly an over achiever when price is a consideration and unquestionably the best "bang for the buck" tube choice for the supratek's.
Ecclectique,great description of the GEs, i put a pair in and found the midrange to be a little thin with the 6106,i put the Sovtek 5AR4 back in and was rewarded with a very clear,sound with great bass,large solid soundstage,good low level detail,and SOME of the midrange magic of the kenrads,def more presence,,using Tungsol 6L6GTB for reg. i still prefer the Kenrad black glass,6106,6L6GTB combo,the 5AR4,GE6SN7,6L6GTB combo is a good low cost set of tubes for my system.I dont have a great amount of exp. with tube swapping but i know good sound when i hear it!i also have a Westinghouse 5V4G ive yet to try in rect. Boy this is great fun!!!!!!Also,thanks for all the great info guys!
Supratek options and alternative tubes!!!! For those that are considering ordering a new preamp from Mick. As many of you know, Mick will custom make the preamp with a host of options: like a mono switch for the phono stage, gain switches, input and output configuration etc. The 6sn7 dual triode is the standard tube offered for line gain in all of the supratek's with the exception of the cabernet which uses a directly heated triode px4 for gain duty. The 6sn7 is a great sounding high gain dual triode tube that has gained favour and has been vitually reincarnated in many modern amp and preamp circuit design as opposed to it's electrically equivalent 9 pin miniature cousins like the 12ax7,12au7,12at7 family of dual triode tubes that were so common in the typical commercial circuits of the 60's,70's and 80's in the likes of Marantz, macs,fisher, and ARC's etc. And like he better minature 9 pin tubes [telefunkens'siemen,amperex, mullard etc] prices for nos 6sn7's and equivalents have escalated into the stratosphere with no end in site. "Check out the market value of a nos telefunken ecc803"[an uprated 12ax7 dual triode]These are typically trading now at close to $1000 a pair!!! The tung sol round plate 6sn7's are now trading at $200+ a pair if they are new in box! Geez gang.... 10 years ago you could buy tung sol rounds NIB for $10 a tube..... makes the stock market or your average mutual fund investments look pretty silly. Concerned yet? It's great for many of us that have collected a stock of nos tubes, but what about the newbie that wants to voice his gear with something other than crappy sovteks or the chineese equivalents????? Yes gang, there are alternative tube options that one can acquire for the suprateks that are very plentiful, dirt cheap, low in demand,and sound as good as the "best" of the 6sn7 tube family and at a fraction of their cost. What are they you ask? Single triodes..... 6j5's,6c5's,6p5's,or the magnificent 7193. Yes...some of these tubes have less gain than the 6sn7 but that can also be a huge benefit to those that have too much gain and very little play with their volume control. Example: I can only use the low gain setting on the syrah in my rig as the high gain switch gives me to little play on the volume pot [9 oclock on the dial is loud] The alps pot that Mick uses has typically sounded best around 12 oclock or higher in most any preamp employing the alps pot. If you need more gain,one can order the preamp with 2 sockets/channel and use a pair of single triodes and have the same high gain as the dual triode 6sn7 without having to route the signal through the contacts of the switch. If one needs less gain and is handy with a soldering iron, simply unsolder 2 wires to the 2nd tube socket. There are a huge selection of nos 6j5 types, metal envelopes,shoulder shaped G bottles,gt glass bottles from all of the great US munufacturers like kenrad, tungsol, sylvania, national union,RCA,Marconi etc as well as the great euro equivalents from Genelex,MO valve,brimar etc. Some are of round plate construction,some flat plate and a few are mesh plates. The 40's metal based sylvania 6j5 gt sounds every bit as good as the insanely expensive metal based 6sn7 vt-231. The kenrad 6j5gt sounds very similiar to the kenrad black and typically sells for $15 a tube. The 6p5g and 6c5g [lower gain than a 6j5]is in a different leaugue altogether and will outperform all of 6sn7. For the daring,or technically inclined DYI types.... I have saved the best for last as rewiring the tube socket is in order here to accomodate the 7193! The 7193 triode is a strange looking octal tube with plate and grid caps on the the top of the glass. These are electrically equivalent to a 6j5 single triode or 1/2 of a 6sn7. They were munufactured by RCA, NU, kenrad and tungsol as far back as the early 1930's.Many were used in old Juke boxes in their day as well as some early 50's tv sets. This tube just stomps on any 6sn7! Simply said.... there is no going back once you hear it. It's like comparing a telefunken ecc803 to a ge 12ax7, or a we350b to a 6L6. Halographic like no other,dead quiet,microphonics are non existant, super liquidity with incredible clarity,a silky sweet top end that floats into your room,the bass energy and drive of the kenrad vt-231 but far crisper and 3 times as tight. I use the cortese in my main system with my very efficient Tannoy Westminster's driven by VAC pa-90 monos employing the genelex kt-77 output tube. With the 6sn7's in the preamp I have very little room for play with the volume control whereby a single 6j5 is perfect for my application. I have unsoldered the other socket whereby I use only 1 6j5/channel. If I change amps or speakers that are lower in sensitivety, I simply solder 2 wires to the second socket. This allows me the gain flexibility without routing the signal through another switch. It also allows me the abilty to compare the dual triode 6sn7's to single triode 6j5 or equivalents like the 6c5's,6p5's and 7193,s. Some food for thought for those the are considering a new supratek preamp.
Ecclectique,i sure feel pressured to find the combination of tubes i like best, and buy a lifetime supply of them,before the cost gets beyond my reach!Your response is very well written,even i understood it ,thanks.Would it be possible to add a tube socket to each channel on a standard Supratek preamp ?
Hi Raytheprinter. Man, you have been on a mission lately!...and a very fine system sir. Didn't mean to put any pressure on you. I see you have already discovered the Kenrad vt-231....a great tube in the supratek. How did the sylvania 5v4 work out for you? It can be marginal for the supratek's with a phono stage unless it test's close to 100%. You may or may not experience a little image shift or wander when playing vinyl. Both examples of the 5v4g that I have do ehibit this peculiar trait.