Just ordered the Jungson 88D Luxury Edition.

Based on some of your commends and a sparse BFS review, I'm taking the plunge. I really hope it will sound good in my system. The guy I bought it from says it's ultra smooth, lush, and just seductive. He also carries the DK VS1 integrated and prefers the Jungson sound over the DK. The Jungson LE is supposed to have better build quality and sells for $1300 less! Any comments on the Jungson is welcome.
dracule1
102DB! Man that leaves amp selection wide open. The 88D of course as stated by those who have heard it has a tube like midrange. No brightness, grain or grit in the highs and plenty of power for a 80wpc amp.

Some seem to feel Klipsch are ideal for SET amps. However the 88D is not Euphoric like some tube amps. What amp are you using now? I mean if any SS amp will synergize well with the Klipsch the Jungson would be near top of the list.

So how it would sound to you would be of course based on what you have currently and what you are looking for.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the Jungson. Just trying to get across the point that with speakers like Klipsch and 102DB effeciency there may be better options.

Again though it could be the match you are looking for :)

Hope this helped some.

BW Maxx
Yes I have begun to realize my choices seem endless. Fortunately it will be a few months before I seriously consider making another purchase. I live about 1-1/2 hours north of where they sell those Jungson's in Indianapolis.

In the meantime my Denon stereo receiver is the Pre for a Sonographe (conrad johnson) 120 watt stereo amp. It sounds better than the receiver by itself of course.

Mmmmm...S.S. and tube or all S.S. or all tube. So many choices I'm glad there is no hurry.......lol.lol.
Tube pre is without a doubt, in my mind, the best way to go with a ss amp.
At least with a tube pre some tube swapping can be done.
With solid state what you get is what you got.
Speedball, another consideration is the noise floor of the amp. Although the Jungson is dead quiet hooked to my speaker with 90 dB efficiency, it may not be hooked up to a speaker with 102 dB. The BFS reviewer states, although the Jungson is quiet for a SS amp, it is not the quietest the reviewer has heard. So you may have to use the balanced connection on the Jungson to gain that extra 3-5 dB reduced noise floor. Or go for another amp more suited for your speakers, but I doubt you can get a SET amp of high quality anywhere near the price of the Jungson. I think you can get the stereo amp version of the 88D for under 1K which is really an absolute bargain. But this is all conjecture as I have not heard the Jungson through a speaker that efficient. Good luck.
The tube Pre is something I have certainly thought about even if it's with a class A S.S. amp. Some tube integrateds out there are looking pretty good too.

Really I was wondering if class A is a big difference in sound versue A/B. I've never heard it before and the Jungson being class A is what caught my attention.

Right now There is a guy offering me an old Musical Fidelity (Dr.Thomas Edition) for 400 bucks in excellent condition. It has 120 watts and the first 30 watts or so is class A. The price is right and I could still use a tube Pre with it eventually. What I'm concerned is, will I be able to hear a difference that 30 watts of class A makes versus A/B.

On the other hand I can keep filling the piggy bank and drop fifteen hundred or so on something in the future.

Sheeesh, decisions, decisions....lol.