Bryston VS Musical Fidelity

Hi gang,

I'm looking for opinions on this. Has anyone compared
The Bryston 4BSST to the Musical Fidelity A5 power amp?
greg_lett
I've thought about the 'slow' comment, and it is admittedly vague. I think I always thought of the Bryston as less refined sounding than some others. For example, many will disagree, but I find the Levinson to be uninteresting, musically. I am not sure if it lacks dynamic contrasting, but to me, (just to me IMHO) not interesting.
The Bryston, (and I was a dealer for them for a short time) many years ago; the same characteristic sound is found for me in their OEM Lexicon Amps. Solid well built, probably never break, but not as detailed as some others I like more. Hell, maybe it's just neutral.
Just, not a fan of it's 'sound' perhaps.
Larry, I would argue that perhaps your experience with the Bryston amps many years ago was with a line that is not current (ST vs. SST, and perhaps before the ST series?). Therefore, the sound of Bryston may be different than what you recall. Possible?
My friend used to own CDM 7NT + CNT.

He used the internal amps of a Yamaha RX-Z1, then switched in his older 70w Accuphase Integtrated and eventually ended up with a Bryston 6B SST.

The Yamaha could barely drive the 7NT and the Accuphase was imediately switched in which made the music so much better.

I lent him my 4BST and the sound became more livelier.

However, once I lent him my 6BSST, he got plagued and bought one himself. The sound was much more refined with the SST.

We have also listened to the new 805s with some MF equipment and it was a good match.

I believe B&W speakers are a good match with MF.
Bryston does work well too due to its high current capability.

It all boils down to your prefenerece and matching with your other components.

Try to go out for some demo's.
TVAD I don't know why I softballed your question, when you said, "I don't know what slow means" or words to that effect.
For many years now, rise time, slew rate, have become lesser talked about figures in some circles than in others.
I think the now deceased John Ivorsen of Eagle, was the first designer to talk to me about the speed and relative speed of amplifiers, and how capacitive loads dramatically effect the measurements: which is why different engineers have different measurements for seemingly the same product.
He also, this was in 1986 talked about how most designers did not understand the proper utilization of 'current' in design work, then he started losing me at that point in my career. At that time his amp was vastly 'clearer' and I guess therefore sounded 'faster' to me, in the way that tubes offer more delicacy (to me) and low level resolution.
My early days with Bryston date to 1985, then as I traveled the country for THIEL. Their distribution became spotty when the brothers split and Chris and John went separate ways, Chris going with Classe I believe.
But explaining speed is almost like explaining, as I said, tube delicacy. It's not that it doesn't exist, its just hard to make clear.
That is as when people talk about S/N ratios and they don't realize that 80db s/n ratio is 1/10,000th, then begin to what seems like a nit pick, with 80 db versus 100db, once you're already at 1/10,000th, isn't that already good?
So speed--yes, I think, that to me Bryston sounds softish, and slower than many other good amps. If that sounds like an indictment I apologize. But we ALL hear things so differently, one thing that is obvious to one person is not as obvious to another.
At 56, I had a hearing test, and my left ear was rated, according to the doctor, as 'perfect, and really remarkable', (he had the good grace not to say, for your age.) But the scale was not age relative, it was just perfect. I now realize why 'possibly' I hear and quantify things other people don't. Please don't take that as bragging since most of the things I hear, are unpleasant, so perhaps a curse in some ways.
I am sure your amp is excellent, just not my personal favorite.
Spectral, probably sets the world on fire with it's recovery times, yet to me sounds stark, and dry. So what does that tell me? Who knows?
Lrsky, thanks for the explanation. You didn't answer my question, though, about which series of Bryston amps you sold or have heard. It's generally accepted that the sound of the Bryston amps has been refined considerably from the original "B" series, to the "ST" series and further in the "SST" series. So, while I would never question your ears, or your opinion, since it is your opinion, I believe it would be beneficial to the discussion to know with which series of Bryston amps you are familiar.