Bryston VS Musical Fidelity

Hi gang,

I'm looking for opinions on this. Has anyone compared
The Bryston 4BSST to the Musical Fidelity A5 power amp?
greg_lett
Gregg, I just purchased a pair of CI Audio D100 mono amps to audition. Right out of the box, I'd say they are comparable to my old Bryston 4B SST. Clear and punchy. Currently playing @ 99dB through my VR4 SE loudspeakers measured at my listening position 8 feet from the speakers.

Given the price of $1599, these are a no-brainer over a 4B SST, and I venture to guess the Rotel as well. Have you ever measured the decibel level from your listening position? It might give you some insight into how much power you actually use. Radio Shack Db meters run about $50, or less.
Gregg, the reason measuring the decibel level is helpful is it gives you a real world idea of how much power is required to drive your speakers to what you consider "loud". Check your speaker's sensitivity. Mine are 89dB measured at 1 meter and 1 watt of power. Each time you double the power output, the speakers play 3dB louder. So, for my speakers to play at 92dB, I require 2 watts of power. 95dB requires 4 watts, 98 dB requires 8 watts, and so forth. Extrapolating the curve out, I require 32 watts for my speakers to play at 104dB. At 104 dB I can't be in the room for very long. On the other hand, 110 db requires 128 wpc. So, the power requirement increases exponentially versus decibel level. You can do the same for your speakers. Just start with your speaker's sensitivity rating and add 3dB for each doubling of power starting with 1 watt (assuming your speakers are measured 1 watt/ 1 meter...most are).

I mention this because you may find you don't require as much power as you thought. 100wpc may be plenty. 200wpc may add some weight and headroom, but I'll bet you never use it.
Tvad,

I'm not so sure 100wpc would be enough. The loudness is not
the issue, it's the weight, the body of the sound, as you
mentioned. I,ve heard the difference between 100wpc and a
200wpc amp, same brand. I know there are other factors like current that make a difference also. I also like having the
extra power for the days I may want to crank it up, which is
rare.
Gregg, you'll never know unless you try. Unless you measure the decibel
level in your room when you crank it up, you'll never know how much
power you require to reach the volume you desire.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.