Moving to separates

Finally willing to make the jump to separates.

Live in apartment setting: have managed to sell off most of my "consumer electronics" to fund purchases of first separates equipment.

Have been attentively reading this site's postings for some time. While I am not ready to jump into the high-end side of the pool, are any of you able to recommend some reasonably priced separates to consider first? I realize that they won't be, and shouldn't be "cheap", though I am admittedly not yet willing to take the plunge on extraordinarily high priced goods.

I haven't yet bought speakers; I'm currently auditioning several pairs.

Thanks so much for your help in starting me off with a list to use while traveling about, listening!
ivyinvestor
You might aim a little higher. A Classe 35 preamp now advertised for $450 is a great bargain on which to build a very nice system. Balanced I/O too, for future compatibilty/upgrades. Or maybe the CAP 80 for $700, and no interconnect required. It might make sense to take the 2nd step first. Just my .02, good luck in your quest.
You don't necessarily need separates.

For tubes, you could get, say, a self biasing Primaluna integrated. It now comes with a mm phono board option ($160). Or a Cayin.
Kora Titan, tube mono-block amps (100 wpc). Go direct from source to amps with (Electronic Visionary Systems) Ultimate Attenuators.
You might try Musical Fidelity. Notwithstanding negative reactions from some who believe Stereophile has prostituted itself to them or that they "upgrade" their line too often, they actually make stuff that sounds pretty good. While frequent upgrades may hurt resale values if you buy new, you can get used or "close-out" equipment at reasonable prices. Try searching on it here and you'll find all sorts of things.