What is the best DB level to

listen to music & movies. I'm still tweaking with a new room and I want to hear things I know are in the music and turn up the volume only to walk out with listening fatique.

Equipment is

ML Request Z, Theater, and Scripts
Bat 500 amp and cinepro 5 channel amp
MC-1
Pioneer Elite 38A and Harmonic tech inter-connects
jwsmith5
Sean, as always a most illuminating post. I listen to a wide variety of music and in a 33 by 14 room the typical listening levels are in the 70-80dB range. The music is loud enough to impede normal conversation. Even when cranking up the volume I rarely go above 90dB, but it's not because of any nastiness or distortion creeping into the sound at higher volumes. I suspect I am like many who simply don't have the need to listen any louder. It's a personal preference. For myself - via airplanes, motorcycles, small engines and trains - I have more than enough exposure to high decibel levels. Listening to music is refuge from that loud world and as a result I only like my music a little loud.

One point in closing. A tough test for any system is whether it can convey the impact and intent of music at very low volumes.
I'm not sure we don't agree on what loud is, just the necessity for listening to music that way on a regular basis. I was a rock musician for a number of years (played bass) and when I quit my bass rig had 10,000 watts and lots of speakers to soak it up. You add in the PA system and other musicians and yeah, it could get loud... OTOH, I still have my hearing and intend to keep it! :-)

Greg
The following link will take you to part of Galen Carol Audio's website and will display three sound pressure level charts.

http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/loudness.htm
Pain begins at approximately 120-125dB, but hearing damage can result from constant exposure at 90-95dB. Specifically, the OSHA regulations prescribe that sound levels above 105dB are limited to less than 1 hour per day. If you have pets, remember that cats and dogs have more sensitive hearing than humans and their hearing can be damaged too.

Loud music can be most pleasurable, but it is not without its downsides. Common sense is advised.
What ??? Could you please repeat that... : )

I don't listen to "roaring" music near as often as i used to. Both my perspective on life and musical tastes have somewhat changed since my "yout" ( courtesy of "My cousin Vinny" ). None the less, i do exercise the volume control once in a while and "unleash the beast" ( courtesy of metal band "Saxon" ). Needless to say, the cats disappear and so does my girlfriend. Being all alone, i typically break out the air guitar and practice my stage antics and stunt moves at that point in time. It's good to pretend to be young once in a while and loud rock can usually help do that : ) Sean
>