music , mind , thought and emotion

There is not a society on this planet, nor probably ever has been, which is without some form of musical expression, often closely linked with rythm and dance. My question is less concentrated on the latter two however.
What I am pondering boils down to:
What is music and what does it do to us
Why do we differentiate music from random noise so clearly and yet can pick up certain samples within that noise as musical.
By listening to music, we find some perhaps interesting, some which we would call musical. What differentiates "musical music" from "ordinary music" and this again from "noise"?
In a more general sense again:
If music has impact on us, what is the nature of our receptors for it. Or better: Who, what are we, that music can do to us what it does?
What would be the nature of a system, which practically all of us would agree upon, that it imparts musicality best?
And finally, if such a sytem would exist, can this quality be measured?
detlof
Detlof bemones the paucity of words;, yet his article above (or "post", if you will) manages to be very direct, explicit and very important.

*Explicit and important, because it can be read independently (hence my use of the word "article") and retain its full potency;

*Direct and important as well WITHIN the context of discussions dedicated to music and audiophile subjects.

But we rarely combine music and its universal powers and the simple subject of reproducing music, in a way that these become interdependent, and the former defines the latter.

Reading carefully however, the pointers are there for those that wish to acknowledge them (others will see these too, but will chose to ignore): personally relate to the subject of music; allow yourself the freedom from personally induced noise i.e. rules & regulations contained in our brain. Let me call this, "subjective distortion" -SD- products.

As Detlof implies, this transcendence may happen when one is physically alone -- and when it does because we allow it, we are in communion with everyone. As we all suspect, being in company means we are exclusively with that company; when alone and in private, one is with potentially with everyone.

Needless to say, the discussions on reproduction systems in relation to music, should start with a defined principle and free from SD. Then, we trickle down to analyses of the parts (what is the "best..." etc, "the bass" the "mid", the amp, etc, etc) -- not the other way round. But that would be the subject of another thread.
Detlof;
That is so beautifully, eloquently, and truthfully spoken. That strikes right through to ones heartfelt emotions, by passing, as great music does, conscious, cognative thought. My spirit loves your spirit.
Thank You.