What's your latest "Discovery"

You know when you buy a new album and it just clicks?! And then you have to play it rather frequently in the mix over and over for the next several days....What's the last album's you bought that really clicked for you?

I just picked up a Jazz trio album that is just a wonderful recording and performance:

It's called "Achirana" on ECM (that label seems to have a lot of great discs!). Vassilis Tsabroplulos, Piano. Arild Andersen, Double-Bass. John Marshall, Drums. Love the 5th cut! That double bass is right there in the room!

Also been enjoying a new classical guitar disc: Julian Bream, "The Ultimate Guitar Collection" on BMG. Great double-disc set. Not that crazy about the recording on this one, but the performance and breadth of the tapestry of work on those two CD's is remarkable.

Any new "discoveries" to share?
jax2
Antony - This guy (gal - he is transgender) must be channeling Nina Simone! He (physically she is a he) did a cover on the Leonard Cohen documentary, "I'm Your Man", of the song, "If it be Your Will". His voice is hauntingly beautiful. I picked up a couple of his CD's with his band, Antony and the Johnsons. The material is not for everyone, full of melancholy and longing. His voice is unfaultering and gorgeous throughout. The CD, "I am Bird Now" won the Mercury Music Prize for best album of 2005.

Also, notably excellent in the Cohen film is Teddy Thompson (son of Richard and Linda). I picked up his first solo album and have been enjoying it very much. I actually was more taken by the two Cohen songs he performs in the film, which are great performances...actually only one song is in the film, but two are on the soundtrack, which is also a must-have Soundtrack album for any Cohen fan...an outstanding and diverse group of covers.

Marco
DNA Strings - El Nino

South African instrumental band. Imeadiatly it was a WOW! I love it...

D Visser
Johnny A. "Sometime Tuesday Morning" Nice jazz, rock and blues mix trio. Mostly all original muic that can be listened to more than one or two tines in one sitting.
Time to dig out this thread - some new discoveries over the last few months. In the process of "becoming Canadian" I discovered some Canadian singers:

Jill Barber - For all time (check out the song "Hard Line")
Matthew Barber - Sweet Nothing
Feist - The Reminder
Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971

I had the chance to listen to both Jill and Matthew (sister and brother) live at the Bookshelf in Guelph. Jill has an amazing voice - by accident I had listened to the song "Hard line" on itunes and it literally cought my ear.

Some more good alums I picked up:
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
Eddi Reader - The Songs of Robert Burns

Eddi remains one of my favorite female voices (ever since Fairground Attraction). This ones a very folky album with wonderful interpretation of the tradionals by Robert Burns. Emmylou's fragile interpretation of Neil Young's Wrecking Ball captured me.

Enjoy!
That Feist album is tops. Much better than her debut. She's also in the band Animal Collective which is nothing like her solo stuff.