Stuck in a Rut

Over the past 30 odd years I have been mostly listening to Rock (Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Bowie and all of the other great British and American bands.
I have also been listening to Jazz (Davis, Brubeck, Chet)
and assorted other Jazz artists.
For classical I love Betthovan's 7th and Tchaikovsky final symphony as examples.
But I know that there other great albums not only in the Rock, Jazz and Symphonic categories but in international ones as well. I would appreciate any suggestions not only on Rock, Jazz or Classical but also on any other category which is not lite but great.

Thanks...
henry_10023
one more from fela kuti - perhaps my favorite "original suffer head"

also, maybe some tom waits - start with "small change" or "blue valentine"
Some areas of music that you might consider are Baroque as suggested by Easy E and another is Bluegrass. You can find some pretty jazzy Bluegrass stuff (Dave Grissman, Sam Bush, Bela Fleck, and others) The jazzier bluegrass is easier to start on because of the little or no vocals, which can throw a lot of people off. Almost any acoustic music is a good change of pace and sounds better as you increase the quality of your system.

listen to it all
I just discovered his music, and the lyrics and compositions are extremely good....so is his guitar playing,,his live recordings have exemplary sound quality.

female vocalist Maia Sharp has an outstanding CD called Maia Sharp with a great band. jazzy-rocky-country'ish...but great voice and production.
I second the Bluegrass suggestion. A recent excellent selection is the double "Alison Krauss + Union Station Live" album. IMO it's wonderfully recorded (and after just seeing them live at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA, lauded as one of the finest music venues in the world, I contend that it's one of the finest recordings I have ever heard) and the talent level heard on this disk as far as bluegrass goes, is hard to beat. Another excellent record is Chris Thile's latest solo effort, "All Who Wander Are Not Lost."

I have also touted Jack Williams on this forum before. He is a little known singer/songwriter, but his Southen soulful sound is a great change of pace. You can find him @ www.jackwilliamsmusic.com There is also a good description of his music at www.allmusic.com

Nice Thread.

Z
Henry, I'm a bit younger than you but I love alot of the same era music you do. If you're looking for something recently released to look up at your local record store, check out the following:

Rosanne Cash "Rules of Travel", Ryan Adams "Rock and Roll" and "Love is Hell Part 1", Perfect Circle "Thirteenth Step", Guster "Keep It Together".

IMHO, you'll find something in each of these to appreciate for sure.