Classical music - starting points

Various posts in a number of threads, most recently "Audiophiles who refuse to listen to classical" suggest there are a number of people who are looking to find a way to get into classical music. I thought it might be worthwhile if some of us who have found a way, even stumbled into one perhaps, could give some advice. If possible we might try to recall what first hooked us on classical music, identify the piece and, if relevant the performance, and describe what grabbed our attention.

I hope that others will use this as a guide to pick an approach which fits their musical tastes.

I'll start with three critical pieces for me.

Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Second Movement, Bruno Walter conductor. This was 11th grade, and quite simply the first time I was ever moved by a piece of classical music. I was caught up in the force, the drama, the inevitability of the music.

Mozart Symphony 35, George Szell conductor. I think this was as a sophomore in college. The sheer energy, the exuberance and speed of the piece had me putting it on repeat in a manner previously reserved for the Beatles.

Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition, Fritz Reiner conductor (my current favorite version). The color and shattering power of the orchestra. I bought into CDs early and for a while my favorite track was The Great Gate at Kiev, the last portion of Pictures, from a demo disk that came with my player. I'm surprised I wasn't thrown out of my apartment.

While my tastes have broadened since then, each of these three works still remains a favorite.
jgreenwood
Rushton, Where's Mahler in your list! :-)

Believe it on not, I recently exposed my adult daughter to classical music using my two favorite composers, Sibelius (Sym #4), and Mahler (Sym #6). She found Sibelius bland and just loved Mahler. Go figure!
Rushton - your post captures exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread. There are countless entries into classical music, each right for someone.

It seems to me that Baroque music may be under-represented so far. I would guess that most people have heard Vivaldi's Four Seasons at some point or another. If you liked that you might also try.

Bach - Brandeburg Concertos

Handel - Water Music and Fireworks Music

Also try Glenn Gould or Andras Schiff playing Bach's 2 and 3 Part Inventions. There is something about Bach on piano that clears my head and seems to restore the natural order of the universe. (The Modern Jazz Quartet does this for me as well.)
Newbee, good question. I love Mahler, but if someone is not finding an entry point from some of the other music suggested, I'd take 'em a bit further out on the edges. ;-)

Interesting story about your daughter, as I keep Sibelius and Mahler tied together in my pantheon of two of the greatest orchestral composers coming out of our western european musical tradition. Hard to imagine liking one and not gravitating to the other.
Thanks, Rushton. Yours is the voice of reason vis. a vis. how a given piece of music will "resonate" with an individual. In my case I like stuff all the way from Renaissance and Baroque to Bernstein when it comes to classical. However, when I asked a friend who is heavily into Mahler to help me break into his music he suggested I get Symphony #2. I'm trying to like it but after a few passes I'm not there yet!

In a broad sense it is likely that folks new to classical music will be happiest with pieces heavy on melody (IMHO).
Most of what has been listed here qualify. A few more of this type that grabbed me upon first listen include Barber's "Adagio for Strings," Pachelbel's "Canon," "Nimrod" from Elgar's "Enigma Variations," and Bach's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" to name a few more.
Jgreenwood, good catch to point out that we've not covered many entry points using Baroque music (Bach's Mass in B can be a challengin entry point). I like your Bach and handel suggestions above. To those, I'd offer:

Telemann's Tafelmusik (Music for Table). The Reference Recordings disc with the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra is not bad, but I'd recommend Bruggen/ConAmsterdam on Telefunken as a better entre.

Albinoni, Adagio in g (Marriner/ASMF, Brown -vn, EMI)

Allegri, Miserere (Tallis Scholars or Willcocks and the Choir at King's College on Argo)

Buxtehude, Sonatas for Violin and Cello (Boston Museum Trio on Harmonia Mundi)

Gabrielli, just about anything, particularly his music for brass

Monteverdi, Selva morale e spirituale (Christie/Les Arts Florissants on Harmonia Mundi)

Collections:
"Laudate!" or "LaudateII" (Drottingholm Baroque Ensemble, Uppsala Academia Kammarkor, Proprius)

"Recital" and "In Concert" and "A Second Recital" by the Academy of St. Martins in the Field, with Marriner on Argo.