question about BOSE reputation

I have never listened to a BOSE system but I have heard that many audiophiles "hate" this brand. Is this brand really that bad for the money? The other day I saw in the Bose web page a home theater system, the Lifestyle 50, which retails for $3700. I was wondering if there are a lot of options better than Bose for much less money. For example, do you guys think that I can go better with a Denon receiver and some not too expensive speakers from...B&W or Infinity for example? If so, which would be the least expensive Denon A/V receiver and B&W or Infinity speakers to beat away that $3700 Bose system? How much would that system be? Your comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks. Jair
jair2fdc
All excellent posts. Bose has capitalized on the fact that while most people like music, the vast majority of them don't care about serious listening and prefer something that blends in or is virtually invisible in their living space and delivers something that resembles their tunes. As a system for background music it works; if you are a serious listener it will disappoint, and can easily be bettered for far less money.
If your main concern is tiny speakers, you may want to take a look at the Gallo Micro system. The speakers are round balls the size of an orange and the powered subwoofer is also quite small. Much better sound than the Bose systems that I have heard and a lot less money. They offer different mounting options (floor stands, wall brackets and/or simple rings that the balls can be placed on) and color options as well.
Jair, as you've noticed from the thread above, you've not gotten many specific recommendations other than avoid BOSE like the plague. This is good advice.

Regarding your specific questions, most here are probably not that familiar with specific models that you are interested in as there is definitely an anti-home-theatre bias in this forum. I'm afraid that I am guilty of this bias as well.

While I cannot give specific guidance on individual models, I can identigy some other reputable, high-value brands that you'll want to take a look at. Denon makes good gear and you should also consider HT receivers made by Onkyo and Yamaha, brands I would consider relatively comparable. With respect to receivers, you probably are not going to be able to discern much if any difference between these three brands. Ultimately, your choice should boil down to power (buy all you can afford), features, and price.

Regarding speaker packages, KEF and Mission make some very reasonable, both in terms of cost and musicality, HT speaker packages. Remember that the choice of speakers will influence the final sound of your system more than any other component, so listen to as many competing brands as you possibly can.

Finally, be very skeptical about expensive cables and interconnects. I guarantee that you'll be pressured to buy such novelties. The plain ugly truth is that in a HT setup at the price point you are considering, these trinkets will make no sonic difference whatever, but they'll make a hell of a difference in the profit margin for the retailer that cons you in to buying them. Good luck and caveat emptor.
I agree with all of the above posts. I decided early on to keep seperate audio and home theatre systems. I really don't care much for television or movies, but my wife and kids do so I put together a decent system for them. Gallo Micro and MPS150 subwoofer speakers, NAD T760 receiver, Toshiba SD 1600 DVD player, DirectTV. Used bulk Monster 16 gauge wire with bananas, Monster interconnects. This system is hardly considered high-end HT, but compared to the Bose set up, it sounds better and is just as visually appealing. I went to a Bose store and heard their systems, they do some demo thing to impress you. Hurt my ears, I found the Bose system similar in sound to most Japanese rack systems. So, threw together my HT from used stuff here on Audiogon, spent half what I would have had I gone the Bose route, and the family likes it plenty. Jeff
Jeff, it's ok, tell the truth, you have like nine systems and must resort to naming them like children to keep track. Too modest. I really have to say, Kthomas has given very good advice. I second a line like PSB, and recommend you check into the the guy on ebay selling complete psb HT systems at a substantial discount to retail.

As for Bose, I find they aren't ordinarily worth talking about, other than how cute they are. The sound is riduculous I think, but can see where people might think it sounds good (I guess). I won't say more because they will try and sue my butt like they do everyone else.

Am gonna disagree with Doc up there, don't think there is a bias against HT operating in the forum any more than there are feelings on everything one way or another. I generally find good help is available on any subject.

Further, though the advice to watch the snake sellin cables is good (they really do try and git you on this), don't be discouraged from trying cables overall. I have found that some of the biggest bang for the buck improvements I have made to my system has come from cable upgrades; differences resolvable even at your price point. You don't need to go crazy, but definitely consider them.