Cars R OK, but what kind of motorcycle do you have

The thread about what AudiogoNers drive is fun to see, but I was wondering what kind of motorcycles are represented by the crazy people here? I know this has been discussed a little on other threads, but If we can slip this by the censors, it might be fun.

I have a Victory V92C. It's a few years old now, but it still a fun cruiser!

What about you?
128x128nrchy
As far as being a dangerous sport, well, that's hard to deny. Experience and good training, as well as common sense all pay off. Also, as has been pointed out, wear the best protective gear you can buy. Learning to ride in the dirt is a HUGE benefit as there is no better (and arguably safer) way to learn how to control a motorcycle. The very best riders I are all experienced dirt riders. The skills you learn in the dirt, where traction is a frequently scarce commodity, translate directly to the street. I've known many a dirt rider who thinks it crazy to ride in the street, not because they can't, but because of the other traffic and potential consequences. Interesting given my recent experience (see below).

I've been riding since 82', so 25 years now. What I've determined is best expressed by Robin Williams character in, hmmm, was it the move Dead Man(?): "Either you're a smoker or you're not a smoker. Determine which one you are and live with it." The same could be said about motorcyles (and any other of life's pursuits, which is the point the character is trying to make). I tried to quit riding once, but it didn't last long. They didn't have the patch back then though. OK, yes, I've been down a few times in 25 years. Nothing tragic though. You might ask same question of those who've driven a car for that long: how many of you have had a car accident? Really, what's the point. There's also a chance you're struck dead by some disease, or the victim of some terrible accident while walking down the street. Do you let those things determine how to live your life?

I say all this in a rather unique position: my leg is up on my knee scooter to keep the swelling down. I have a 4-inch incision scar on my right foot, and another smaller scar just below that one. Beneath the scars two large screws hold the bones of my feet together while the tendons heal. I am one month into a 14-18 week recovery, most of which is non-weight-bearing on that foot, from a lisfranc dislocation in my foot. Yes, you guessed it, from a motorcycle accident. The worst I've had in 25 years of riding and the only serious injuries ever incurred from riding (and I've been rear-ended by cages on the pavement twice). All that and I couldn't have been going more than 20mph up on a very remote and beautiful dirt road up on Entiatt Ridge. I've also dislocated my left shoulder. It was a stupid mistake having misjudged an obstacle, and I could have sustained the same injuries had I been riding a bicycle. Yes, I was wearing full protective gear and heavy boots. My helmet saved me from a head injury.

What will I do when I can walk properly again? Get back on my bike and ride, of course. How many of you who've been in an auto accident never drive a car again? When I had my accident I was on a camping trip with a group of about eight other riders. One was a middle-aged woman, who was riding pavement with her boyfriend on her Ducati (she had a Harley at home as well). Her occupation was as an ER Nurse. I asked her what kind of serious accidents she sees the most of at the metropolitan hospital she works at. She said that outside of automobile accidents, probably lawnmower accidents (mostly missing digits), believe it or not. Guess you folks who are mowing your lawns better think twice next time you get that death machine out. Maybe we should all just lock ourselves into a small room with a toilet a sink and a slot in the door where food and water is delivered three times a day?

Marco
Ah, I found the correct quote from "Dead Again" which is better than what I remembered, and quite to the point. The character Robin Williams plays, Doctor Cozy Carlisle, a de-frocked shrink working as a grocery clerk:

"Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that. If you're a nonsmoker, you'll know. "

Marco
Just a plain old boring 1990 *BMW K100RS, solid as a brick, fairly lofty, heavy, staid, adequate and ............boring. The only motorcycle that one can fall asleep on. Dream hooligan tool is a Triumph speed triple.

*add a turbo and surprise the plastic fantastic brigade (well, in a straight line anyway).
Ducati Sport Classic (2006), Burnt Orange. Most exciting bike I've had, but service level at Duc leaves something to be desired. Mostly BMWs before.
Hatari

Re "service level at Duc"

Are you referring to:

* Reliability of the bike?
* Responsiveness of Ducati North America
* or Responsiveness of your local authorized Ducati dealer?

Thank you,