Best and Worst sound at the CES Show 2004

The Best, I would vote for the Wavac room. Amazing!!!! Well, those amps are like.. ... $350k..???
They were playing Peggy Lee "Fever" and it was amazing.
Accuphase room was good as well. Beautiful sound came out from Avanlon speakers.

The worst??? Many... I was disapointed and surprised... among the worst room:
- Burmester (no imaging, get headache if listen for 5min.)
- Lamn (terrible, so digital sound, like my computer)
- VTL (the worst of the worst). They used the Wilson Audio speakers and the sound was so bad? Why? Wrong set-up? Wrong CD????
linkoping
Yes, they were playing a $1400 integrated amp. Sorry, but I don't recall what speakers they had coupled to the amp. This was a very good bargain system, one of the best at CES. The other bargain systems I like were the Consonance electronics with a pair of cheap speakers (again my memory fails me) at T.H.E. Show, and the Trenner & ____ speakers (new Austrian firm) being shown by the distributor for Basis turntables (they shared a room at CES).

As to the original post, I thought the WAVAC room was okay, nothing special. I also thought the VTL room was okay. The VTL/Wilson Maxx system sounded a bit like a cheap PA system when played in pentode mode, but they improved greatly in triode mode. The Maxx sounded better in the Audio Research room at T.H.E. Show.
Theaudiotweak you're right. Tom said there were several levels of the same amplifier that would be available. I'm not sure if the one they were using was the entry level, or a tricked out model like the one you describe. It was still the three sided model, which made me feel very patriotic. If George Washington had an pair of monoblocks... never mind.
Jallen, I totally agree on the Avantgarde, that was pretty nice. The sound was pretty good with all the zanden electronics.
However, for the VTL room, that was the most terrible at the show (maybe when i was there).
Nrchy the one you heard has the same Vishay resistor package as mine..The show piece had a new improved 1st stage and larger transformer with 3 more amps of current. Great amp and hope to have mine in for all the new bump ups..Tom
Thanks for the kind words regarding the Joule/Elrod/Critical Mass Systems room. On behalf of Jud, David and myself, it was a pleasure to make you smile. Special thanks go out to Richard Vandersteen for his company and insight.

We're truly pleased you liked the results. See you next year!

Joe
Critical Mass Systems