Tubes? Transistors? Which are better?

It's an audiophile debate: Which are better, tubes or transistors? I have a been a big fan of transistors for a long time, but recent auditions have turned me into a partial tube head. Which tube designs sound best? Do transistors sound better?
uliverc113
Tubegroover, your excellent post is probably the best explanation of why, despite having heard many solid-state and tube hybrid amps in my system "outperform" my Jadis JA80s in most respects, I still prefer to listen to my music (primarily classical, folk and jazz) through the Jadis amps. I very well might feel differently if I listened to rock more frequently; in that case, I think Garfish has the right idea. We all listen to music to be moved; for my music, tubes just seem to do the trick better.
Trelja; a lot of the music I listen to depends on good rhythmic drive, ie blues, rock, some pop, some new agey stuff etc, and the DNA2 does this very well. I think the two music parameters that are most important to me (assuming good tonal balance of course) are timbral richness of vocals, and PRT. Yes, I've read both the M. Fremer STPH reviews you refer to, and interestingly had exactly the same reaction as you. At one time I had the Muse 160 on my short list-- Fremer was really arrogant and conceited on that one, and re: the ARC amp review, he was actually going to use some old cables that had been growing hair in his closet for ten years-- could'nt believe it. Yeah, I know Steve McCormack likes tubes, and he's pleased when someone tells him his SS amps sound tubey--- and I do think his DNA amps have some tubelike qualities in the mids and low treble (smooth, sweet, and non-fatiguing), but they also have great control in the bass and mid-bass region. They're quick, tight, deep, and very rhythmic. I think I've just explained why I like the DNA amps :>). Cheers. Craig.
You are always on point Garfish. I agree with everything you just said. I think the reason people like Fremer is that he pushes analog over digital. Otherwise, he makes more neophyte reviewer(even for us amateurs here) mistakes than should be accepted. He should really issue an apology for the things he said in that Muse 160 review. The biggest beef I have with Stereophile is that the best reviewers(DO, RH, SS, CG, WP, RJR, MC, RD, TJN) have either left, or ceded space to MF, JS(HORRIBLE!!!), KR, CS, etc. leaving a TREMENDOUS downturn in the quality of reviews. And JA seems to only review non-serious stuff now. The reason I bought my Jadis was that it could the things I loved best about the OTL/SET, yet still kick butt. And I don't have to worry about what speakers I am driving(for the most part). I truly feel that the main thing of this hobby is to do whatever you like, as that is all that matters. Happy listening.
All roads lead to Rome... Good gear is good gear, transistor gear is just much harder to design. Very few transistor designs truly please me, but some do.
Tubes can run in much simpler (therefore easier to design, analyse and voice) circuits.
If I had to choose only one, it would be tubes, but my system is a mixture of both.....
The impression I'm getting is that the ss amps have great detail and bass, but tubes create a soft, pleasing image for mids and highs. Why not take advantage of both in an active biamp pattern? I'm presently using a Mark Leninson 334 to drive my K-horns and LaScalas. The bass doesn't get any better than this, but the mids and highs are a bit harsh at times. I'm thinking about trying a Rane AC22 active crossover to split the signal to the ML334 for the bass, and a Conrad Johnson Premier 12 to handle the mids and highs. Any comments on this idea?