Here's How I Make My Equipment Racks

In response to a previous thread, here's how I make my
equipment racks:
List of equipment: 3/4" thick MDF cut to desired shelf
size
(4) 3/4" diameter 6' threaded steel rods
3/4" nuts and washers (8 per shelf)
Drill a 3/4" hole in the corner of each shelf in exactly the
same place. I do this by scribing a line with a square 1 1/2" inch in and using a nail set to punch a hole where the lines intersect. A drill press works great to drill the holes so they are all straight and true. Now that you have
a hole drilled in each corner of each shelf, simply screw
the whole thing together, adjusting each shelf to fit your
gear. Use a square to make sure your first shelf is straight, and measure each one likewise. If you do this
correctly, your rack will sit straight and level. If you
need to level it further, buy (4) 3/4 rod connectors, which
are about 3" high, and screw these into the bottom of the
rod and use them to level it. I paint the steel rod using
Krylon Industrial enamel (flat black looks best), and paint
the shelves to match your decor. This makes a very solid,
heavy audio rack. Total cost is about $40 for the steel
rod, $15 for the nuts and washers (about $1.00 a pound)
$20 for the MDF, and $5.00 worth of paint for a total under
$100. I've made several racks this way and have used the
same method to make CD racks.
Dave
dave43
The Flexy is good. I had to build one because i did not have enough money to get beyond the Salamander, Plateau, Quadraspire, etc. brands, which are no better. And you have to put your equipment on something. One hundred out of a $700 could be considred substantial, but I do not have $600.
Keep your head up, and your wallet close, Dave...Ken's after your $100. And maybe try three rods instead of four, sometime.
Fire away,Sean. Feel free to e mail me or post here.I'll help in any way I can.
Best,
Ken
Ohlala, Ken has demonstrated his willingness to both learn and share his knowledge and experience via this and other forums MANY times over. As such, not everyone that sells a product is looking through you into your wallet.

There are more than a few folks that can testify to the fact that his "ideas" or "products" DO work and make noticeable differences. As such, he might be seen by some as having an outside motivation but those that have dealt with him or have similiar levels of experience know differently. He is simply planting a seed and hoping that it will grow into a "bigger & better" audiophile system. : )

As to the questions that i have for Ken, i'll repost them under this thread. This way, we can all learn from common / basic questions and exchange various ideas / experiences. Unfortunately, i don't have time right now, so i'll have to do it later tonight. Sean
>
I have read and appreciate Mr. Lyon's informative posts on audioasylum. I know Neuance too, first and second hand. Those words I posted were more of a humorous needle than any sort of warning. I apologize, Mr. Lyon as that humor did not come across well at all and did seem like a warning. I have no doubt that you are a reputable, and that you do not comb for customers. My only point is that the Flexy is not meant as a substitute for a nice, relatively expensive rack, but a good alternative for those $400 or so racks that are basically the same thing as the Flexy. So why rain on the parade?
Hi Ohlala,
My original response was not meant to dismiss Dave43's commendable, informative and well-meaning posting.He properly referred to the plans as "equipment racks" rather than isolation stands and I had hoped that my original response, while pointed, was not derogatory nor mean- spirited.
My reply is a reaction to the cummulative damage that the TNT Flexy seems to have made on the internet hobbyist audio forums as a whole.
I read pretty regularly and have encountered many more than a few audiophiles who misstakenly assume that Flexy type threaded rod bolt-togethers(ESPECIALLY those reprehensible commercially marketed racks)offer a viable sonic benefit to their systems.Perhaps that might be so but only by comparison to the likes of Gusdorf and O'Sullivan "stereo cabinets".
In not one case that I have yet encountered has the individual ever actually made direct comparison against a properly engineered isolation support yet the Flexy design is perpetuated as a viable inexpensive DIY alternative for same(please note that the original poster made no such claims).
It was the intent of my original reply to advance the question of the posters performance experience with his Flexy variant.
I fully understand and wholly commend the intent of posting a solution for system display management at low expense.
Had these designs been touted only as a furniture piece/ equipment storage solution rather than as an isolation product,I would have no reason to enter my foil.
I regularly see available at AG and other classified boards pre-owned isolation products in the neighborhood of $175 to $250.
In fact,one can easily assemble a very good performing alternative with a few simple mods and stacking of IKEA Lack endtables for about the same amount as was spent on the Flexy variant(~$20/shelf).
I personally see the $100 spent on the DIY/Flexy project as money essentially squandered.I have no problem with DIY and really no problem with the Flexy as long as the individual knows what they should expect from it.
Best,
Ken
GreaterRanges/Neuance