What's wrong with tailoring the sound?

Probably been addressed a bazillion times but I'm wondering why it is apparently so wrong to tailor the sound with tone controls? I read lots of posts on the various audio forums and hear things like "these speakers may be a tad shy in the bass but...." So whats so wrong about having a devise which will aleviate this problem in an otherwise wonderful speaker? Won't this increase the listeners enjoyment? I also read about certain cables being brighter or darker than others. It seems that the only way for this to be true is if certain frequencies are being altered in some way. Why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a cable to take some brightness away when one could just tweak a knob and get the same results in a few seconds (and for free) What is to be done with recordings that aren't quite up to par? The overly bright or overly dark. Should they just be discarded in favor of audiophile quality recordings, content be dammed? What do you do when you want a little more depth in your sound when the lack of it is due to unavoidable room conditions? Are there good quality units out there that will allow me to have hi-end sound AND be able to adjust/compensate for personnal preference? The recording engineer did not mix the recording using my equipment, in my room, using my ears and with my personnel taste in what I find most pleasing.
I've also read enough posts on these forums (though not usually on Audiogon) that I will ask this favor. Don't beat me up too bad, I'm relatively new.
say811
Say811- No beating is in order. Most folks feel like there are two issues at play here. One is that tone controls in the circuit will degrade the sound, even if set to "0". thats why some gear has a defeat switch to take the tone controls out of the circuit. Second is that the typical tone control alters a very wide range of frequencies, while a deficiency will likely cover a smaller range of frequencies. The latter can be delt with by using an equalizer, but that will not alter the former. OTOH, do what you think is best; in other words, let your ears be the judge. Happy Holidays.
There are several factors involved here. As Swampwalker mentions, tone controls affect a wide range of frequencies. Not only that, they cause phase shifts, etc... If someone is willing deal with that, i have no problems with it. That is why most of us mention "personal preference" as much as we do.

In order to get around this or minimize the influence of broadband effects that tone controls produce, some folks went to parametric EQ's. This is a more precise method of adjusting tonal balance with more control over the exact frequency range being affected. This is done by varying the "Q" of the circuit. Others use graphic equalizers, which are basically more sophisticated tone controls and suffer similar problems. While these are much easier to operate as compared to parametric's, they are not as efficient or linear in their overall performance.

There are combinations of the two designs that are sometimes called "Para-Graphic" EQ's. These have preselected center frequencies ( like a Graphic ) but offer the end user the ability to somewhat shift each of those frequencies up or down for more precise tuning of a narrow band ( like Parametric ). Some might consider this either the best or worst of both worlds, depending on ones' point of view.

As to using cables as "tone controls", this is QUITE controversial. Since many believe that cables do not affect the sound, it is considered by some to be foolish. They base their beliefs on the fact that most well designed cables do not cause major phase shifts or frequency response abberations under test conditions. Since that is the case, many consider this to be the "lesser of two evils" i.e. wires that "tonally balance" the system and measure "flat" with no phase shifts or tone controls that do introduce phase shifts and do not measure as well. Once again, we are back to personal preference and individual beliefs.

The alternative to this is equilization done in the digital domain. While i have never used one of these devices, they are said to work wonderfully. I would assume that they would work best when using a digital source. Otherwise, the analogue source would have to go through an ADC ( Analogue to Digital Converter ), have the equilization applied, and then go through a DAC ( Digital to Analogue Converter ) before being fed to a standard analogue amplification device. Those using all digital systems from source to amplifiers would not have to worry about such things though.

I would think that the REAL bottom line to your question is something along the lines of:

"What is wrong with being a music lover instead of an audiophile ?"

According to commonly accepted definitions, "audiophiles" crave the utmost in accurate reproduction i.e. "details" of whatever is on the disc, whether it be sonically pleasing or not. Music lovers are more concerned with enjoying the performance / recordings and trying to re-create a "you are there" type of listening experience. Sometimes the two types of reproduction and listening environments are / are not to be found working hand in hand.

I think that most of the people frequenting this board are a combination of the two genres of listeners, but not all. There are "sticklers" in each camp i.e. the audiophiles say that if it doesn't measure perfectly, it is not an "accurate" reproduction of what the recording contains. Music lovers will say that some components / sysems that measure well do not sound like real life instruments. My personal opinion is that one should build / listen to a system that makes them the happiest. Whatever the means that they use to achieve that goal are okay with me. Sean
>
Audio is a hobby and therefore ment to be enjoyed, if you enjoy the sound more "tailored" then go for it. As for me it depends what I am listening to if I want any compensation, to heck with what the extremists say on either side, its all about what sounds good to your ears. Happy holidays,
Tim
Hey Say, I agree with tireguy Tim. There are times when my ears crave the truth of no enhancement and then....There are times when I want a total body massaging foundation shaking heart pounding....(um where was I?)....Oh yeah....musical experience. This is when I tailor the gadgets to put the musicians in my listening room the way my ears perceive it best! So gather up the knowledge, suggestions,and the technical explanations and use these to gain understanding of what happens when...but most of all ENJOY,ENJOY,ENJOY!
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS! THOMAS.