pure class A?

Could anyone explain to me what it means when an amp is operating in class A,B,C ect.

Thanks in advance,

Damon
128x1282001impala
Nice analogy Sean. But is Class B exactly as you describe? I was under the impression that the "drive" is switching over to a second set of transistors or tubes, during the "second" half (or negative swing) of the signal. Or are you not equating the two "halves" with polarity of the signal?
Thanks for the responses. I have a little bit of a back ground in electricity. So, I believe I have a pretty good grasp of what you're saying.

Thanks again,

Damon
Audiofile9, what you describe is known as a push-pull arrangement in terms of one output device "handing off" to another device as the signal changes polarity. These types of devices, especially SS models, are typically sold or marketed as "complimentary pairs", etc.. This somewhat assures near identical operating conditions for each polarity of the cycle. This is very similar to the way that running matched pairs in parallel assures that they share the load equally. Sean
>
Sean, your the man. I've read numerous descriptions on the differences of "class", but yours is the most lucid and succint yet. Thanks.
Unsound, right on! Sean, thanks for the clarification. If you would be so generous, perhaps you could explain the difference between "Single Ended" and "Class A" (and how "push pull" relates)? I've always been fuzzy about the differences there. Perhaps like many others, I assumed Class B was synonomous with PushPull, etc. Have seen the many threads that touch upon these subjects, but have not found any bearing your excellent analogy as above.