How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63
Yes indeed,without our differences what kind of a sad blandness would we exist in.
Beatle seems to have moved on...maybe the latter part of this thread didn't give him a "real" feel!
Got an email from Bruce today:

============================================================
TO: Zaikesman

Try to find some kind of therapy in the real world, the internet is a terrible substitute.

============================================================

Posting it here will serve as my only comment. Carry on...
Beetle...yes...better speakers is the ticket...and one pair of quality speakers will surpass 2 sets of average ones...I would suggest GReen Mountain Audio Europas for $800...which could easily be obtained by selling your old gear...and then welcome to the big leagues...time/phase correct design...incredible wide soundstaging...and a level of realism and involvement only hinted at in speakers 2 or 3 times the cost...these are what many call "musical speakers"....if your are looking for the uptmost in detail or the lowest bass on the planet...which sounds like you are not...u will be very happy...they do require good stands...which inflates the cost to around a 1k...still a steal my friend...good luck...