A/V receiver for decoding and center/rear

I want to add homecinema to my system, which is stereo-orientated. Since I don't want to change my stereo amp for a surround design, I figured I could buy a A/V-receiver for decoding use and to drive the center and rear-speakers. That means I would connect my stereo-sources (turntable, CD) straight to the stereo-amp, and DVD/video/tv into the receiver. I would use the line out for front right and left to feed my stereo amp, and the built-in amps for center and rear from the A/V-receiver, leaving the receiver out of the chain when listening to stereo-sources. Would this work? And is there a chance of damaging/blowing up the amps in the receiver, since the front-amps won't be used?
Thanks for any advice.
satch
Satch, nothing should blow up on ya. I am doing the same thing your suggesting, using the pre-outs from the receiver to the integraded amp, with cdp to the amp. Two things should be addressed. One, if you are using a subwoofer, where do you want the bass to come from? For me, I enter no sub on the dvd menu, front speakers large, have sub from pre-out on int. amp. This still gives me the best music, but movies will be a little bass shy until I turn the volume up on the sub. Experiment. Second, if you have any 3 prong power cords, most likely you will get a ground loop. You can count on it if you have CATV. Do a search on this if you get one. Good luck and happy holidays.
I was also successful in doing what you've described. I have a Cambridge unit that decodes and powers the center and rears. It also has a line level subwoofer output. The unit is actually a Carver sold under the Cambridge name. I used it for four months leading up to my Rotel surround purchase. If you have any interest, let me know. I was going to list it here for next to nothing.
Thanx for your response guys, now all I have to do is save for a couple of months to buy the appropriate receiver. And thanx for the offer Imin2u, but at the moment I'm quite literally broke, so I have to let your offer go. Thanx anyway!!