Isolation vs. Absorbtion

I am new to the audiophile hobby, and I am confused by what appears to be subjectivity and contradictions. When "mounting" a cd player and other components, is it best to use Soft Pads which ISOLATE vibration and RETAIN internal component vibration, OR is it best to use Hard Cones, which DRAIN (harmful) component vibrations into shelf material. Secondly, is it best to attach shelving to racks so that shelving makes Direct (hard) Contact - OR, should the shelving be Isolated from rack? Is there a scientific, indisputable answer?
128x128equa
Plsl, I am still trying things, but like something light and rigid, not just because that is what I am trying right now, but discovered some time ago that the Theta worked better that way. I would want to keep trying things for another week or so before I am too definitive but so far the Neuance shelf with E-A-R large feet in between component and shelf sound pretty good. I will also be trying oil filled bladders (but air bladders were not good) and Maple Butchers Block. None of these are shabby, but will take a bit more time to try out fully. The time consuming part is of course that you can only ever listen to the whole system, not parts of it, and different components may benefit from different supports.
Thanks. I also have a Theta Data III. The cabinet is quite susceptible to air induced vibration at mid bass frequencies. I have mine on a Zoethicus stand which sits on an oak plank base seperated from the floor by air bladders. On the stand the Data III currently sits on a lead shot tray and is mass loaded across the entire top (except the vents) with a thin bag of lead shot. I like the sound and by lightly touching the cabinet before and after it is quite clear that the cabinet vibrations are gone, However, I'm always looking for what might be a better alternative.
Dekay, or anyone, can you offer any comparison between the Mapleshade and BDRacing cones that you used? I'm looking for a cone... for a different application -- between a Rega Planar 3 and a sandbox... but any comparative info still would be interesting. BTW, at first I was disappointed in the Mapleshade Surefeet -- got new detail and better defined bass but also some aggressive highs and too-light bass. Then I discovered the cones weren't perfectly flat on top; they had a tiny nub dead center that prevented uniform contact. To bypass the nub, I got some tiny brass cap nuts (dome shaped) and stuck them on the flat top with double-sided tape, thus creating a poor-man's version of Mapleshade's triple-point cone. Now, I am favorably impressed with the Surefeet (tried under turntable and CD player). I will exchange this set for a good set and may try a set of the heavyweight triplepoints as well, but the capnuts may still figure into the mix.
Wow... As a reatively new "audiophile", I am impressed. I think I am beginning to see why some people spend a lifetime "tweaking".
Darn it Jayboard, now I am going to have to pull the Mapleshade cones and check their level. When I tried the Racing cones between my player and an MDF platform resting on Vibrapods I found the sound to be kind of "etched" for lack of a better word. However, since then I have discovered that they make different models and wonder if I may have used the wrong one for my application. I borrowed a set of three for the test but am not certain what number they were and have not yet asked the friend that loaned them to me. I have heard good things about them from others and would like to give them a second try (the other model) before dismissing them. I happen to have some brass finish nuts (the ones used to affix glass ceiling light fixtures) oddly enough. LOL. If you get a chance try the Mapleshade cones under one of your speakers. I just messed around with my wiring and wall outlets and am taking a break from tweaking until the sound settles down.