Are Audiophiles Obsessive Nuts?

The following is from the website of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/select/0898/tube.html

Agree? Disagree? Why?

“High-end equipment is aimed at the most obsessive audiophiles, famed for worrying about small details which most people ignore or cannot even hear...

“The rise of high-end sales was influenced by the statements of subjective audio reviewers, whose nontechnical and rarely rigorous listening tests at times encouraged near-hysteria among magazine readers. A positive review in a powerful magazine such as Stereophile can trigger hundreds or even thousands of unit sales, and turn an unknown manufacturer into an instant success. A negative review can sink a small firm just as easily (and has done so)...

“Much of high-end is conducted in a gold-rush fashion, with companies advertising exotic connecting cables and acoustical treatment devices while making wild claims
about the supernatural results achieved. The result: negative comments from the professional engineering fraternity. Items have been published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, in electronic-industry journals such as EE Times, and elsewhere that attack the methods and conclusions of the audiophiles...
plasmatronic
Yes, your baloney sounds more scientifically right than my baloney. I congratulate yourself. But easy is better than complicated! Dale
psss. There really is a spiritual world. I know this because music is spiritual. Did you know that?
I don't think that any celibate monk has yet designed an amplifier circuit, correct me if I'm wrong. God bless sientists for they have given us sound systems in the first place. Tweakers and futzers may have put some sparse and thin icing on the cake, but that's being generous. Yes I will say it again: cone heads and cable sniffers make Linnites sound like Nobel laureates. Maybe I'm not getting the point (oh yes, it happens to the worst of us) but what does spirituality have to do with the equipment? I understand that some might say it's not all science, that there is some art involved, but spirituality? When one is sick, is a visit to: (a) a medical doctor, (b) a herbalist (c) a chiropractor or (d) a witch doctor called for? The cure for any lacunas in science is not sprirtuality (although it exists and people should not forget that it is within each of us) but surely more and better science. The same holds true for the science and art of reproduced sound. You can over-analyse composition, arranging, conducting and performing music into nothingness, and lose all spirituality in the process. Can it be said, however, that analysing and measuring the equipment that reproduces it leads to the same fate? Hardly, simplicity is way oversold. You can't explain complex things with simple language. There is a point were reductionism simply won't work. The opposition you postulate between science and spirituality simply does not work in this context, but like I said it's a free country.
What does equipment have to do with music? Yea, it's a bit out of context for this forum. We are talking about cable here. It was not an excuse for neo-maxi-wiggedout cable design. My point was, you can't see the forest for the trees. It's all about music. Getting that moving feeling over a piece of music. If that piece of copper got you there and the other didn't. Then it is worth every penny. Maybe I am just weird in that I try to connect to the music with my heart instead of just listening to the sounds coming out of the speaker? Maybe some just feel more connected spiritually than others? Maybe not. But this is not about mathematical differences. It is about music. And the enjoyment of it. I don't need to analyze it. I just need to hear it. That is enough for me. You know, different strokes. Dale