High End Audio Equipment, Status Symbol?

I was reading some other forums, about why High end audio is or is not a status symbol. I prefer it not to be or we would be having systems like the one below.

Saleen P-675 Pre-Amp
Saleen A-6500 7 Channel Amplifier
Rolex Venom Type 4 Interconnects
Rolex Diamondback Speaker Cable
Lexus FRS-9000 Electrostatic Loudspeakers
Lexus SS8 Surround Speakers
Lexus CP-8 Center channel
Dachati VVX-9 CD Transport
Aston Martin V-9 DVD/DVD-A/SACD/MP3/CDR/CDRD
Bentley 75' MX-1 Plasma UHDTV (Ultra High Def Tv)
Lockheed Martin DBS-50, 5000w 24in Depthcharge Subwoofer
Audi MS-2004 Master Remote Control System
Northrup Grummann PSS9000 Stage 10 Power Filter/conditioner
audiophanatik
Sorry, psychicanimal, but high-end ain't got nothin' to do with who you are.

Your character is what God knows you to be. And your image what others think you to be.

But then, you probably knew I was going to say that. You being psychic and all. :)

-IMO
I'll put it another way: "The professional is able to compensate the idiosyncracies of his equipment."

Get the point?

I can make anything work right...
High End has never succeeded as a status symbol because it is a cottage industry of enthusiasts who can't market their way out of a paper bag.

I have heard all the arguments -- you cant show it off, the laymen don't get it, don't appreciate the performance, but those arguments fail to explain why people drink expensive mineral water, pay thousands for Italian sheets, wear Sea Dweller Rolexes only in the shower, and order Porsche Turbos with Tiptronic transmissions and "supple leather" interiors.

In the mean time, Bose sells like hot cakes because
....because they market relentlessly to the mass market, not to obsessive audiophiles whose next upgrade spells the death of their previous favourite manufacturer's revenues.

But what fun. Who cares if yuppies dont get it.
Stereo systems, a status symbol? The only thing that anyone comments on when they visit my place is my music collection, hell they don't even know what a tube amp is! In my neck of the wood's if I wanted a status symbol a stereo system is the last place I'd put my money.