High Gloss Wood Finish - High-End or Low Class?

Looking at my leftover components and the furniture in my bedroom, I got the brainstorm to put together a 2d system that would be very retro 40sish. The speakers would be DIY, finished to match the 1940s waterfall Art Decofurniture. I would dress up the electronics to match. I got a tube integrated, and a couple dressers and a bed dirt cheap. The finish on the bed was destroyed, so I stripped it, stained, filled, varnished, wetsanded (several times) and polished to a very high gloss. It has a dipped in glass look I've only seen on expensive guitars, and maybe pianos. The ribbon stripe mahogany and other woods have a spectacular tiger-eye effect. My concern is that I don't recall ever seeing furniture or speakers with this type of finish. While I think it looks kind of cool, I have a funny feeling that sophisticated people with good taste may think it too glitzy or tacky, or perhaps "wonderful" (which, as far as I can tell, is rich-lady speak for "That's really messed up, but I admire your chutzpah for flaunting it"). I was hoping to put something together with huge WAF (in case I ever get a wife). What do people think? Should I keep putting together my system / furniture with the same finish? Or if there are any woodworkers out there, what did I do wrong? Does anyone remember what this furniture looked like when it was new 60 years ago?
honest1
Since you asked, a high gloss sheen is appropiate on some furniture, not on others. In your case Art Deco furniture had a satin to semi-gloss sheen, but never a high gloss mirror sheen. However, it is your furniture and if you like it, so be it. Chances are if you meet the right woman she'll pick out something entirely different anyway.
Nothing wrong with a high gloss finish if you ask me. I think it looks very striking and shows that the crafter valued the piece enough to invest so much time in it.

As to its value in speakers, im not sure, the finish might have unwanted accoustical properties, then again, it might not.

If you like it, then go for it! Personally i think it would be a very beautiful system!

Personally i dont think you did anything wrong! It sounds like you gave it a beautiful finish.
It can look good if done right, or like crap if done poorly.

Example:

good: verity parsifal encore
bad: Quad 21L.

-Ed