ebay vs audiogon

I have bought equipment on both audiogon and ebay this past year and would say that I am definitely more comfortable with the former vs the latter. Twice recently equipment was misrepresented on ebay. On the first one paypal helped me recover my money. On the second it wasn't worth going crazy on (some scuffing on the top of a DVD player), but still left me hesitant to buy there again.

Hat's off to the audiogoner's for greater trustworthiness and honor.
quicke
Bigjoe: It's true, paypal ain't perfect. It's risky both ways. Sometimes chargebacks made by malicious buyers go through and screw the seller. Sometimes chargebacks get refused by paypal when the seller really did scam the buyer.

That said, it's a helluva lot safer for a buyer than sending a money order, and I think it would be great if you could acknowledge that as a strength.

I know sellers matter too. The idea here is to come up with a way to make both people relatively safe and happy. I know that you're very anti-paypal because of your own experiences, but it's been really frustrating to read your responses on this issue, in this thread and others, which are many, because I've never seen you actually offer a solution. All I see is complaints, and the insistance that money orders are the way to go because they're 100% safe for you, the seller.

You seem to hate Escrow.com with an equal passion, and you've never explained why, besides the ubiquitous "it's bad for the seller", and that it's slow. Again, the point is to come up with a mutually beneficial solution. Finding such a solution will benefit you as a seller as well, in the long run.

The policy of draining an account after a transaction and waiting to ship is extremely underhanded, deceitful, and disrespectful. If I were involved in a transaction with a seller who did that, I would report them to paypal immediately.

I don't mean to be b*tchy. I've had a lot of fun talkin' to you and many other anti-paypal dudes on the Gon, but I just had to express my frustration. The end.
lousyreeds,im not anti paypal in the slightest in fact i prefer paypal & prefer to use it weather im buying or selling,all im saying is that the confirmed address bit that has taken over is meaningless to a seller & offers no protection to the seller.

what i was lookin for was for somebody to tell me why they insist on a buyer having a verified address before they sell to them,it seems that every body selling gear wants the verification but nobody can explain why & that leaves me a bit confused about the whole thing.

i cant speak for other sellers but i make sure that i tell buyers my methods & most times i ship before the payment is transfered but it all depends on the amount too,if its $5k then it must clear first.

when you stated that i hate escro you were correct,escro is the fastest growing scam out there with copy cat names that decieve buyers into thinking their dealing with escro.com when in reality their getting scammed.

ive also never claimed to be an expert on the best method of payment but having been a victim of scams ranging from money orders to paypal i know the bad points to all the payment methods & it never hurts to pass this info along as most people will never encounter as many con artists as i do,all i have done is try to show buyers how they can be scammed no matter how they pay,im not bitching at all but if somebody had taken the time to point out a few of these things to me & not worry what others think about what they say i may have avoided a few of the scams & saved alot of cash.

im not trying to pin a medal on my chest or anything but im the only member here that admits to selling gear for profit when this place is full of resellers & all i try to do is pass along information that i know to be true in the hopes of saving some other poor guy the grief & loss of cash that i have experienced,its hard to not come off sounding harsh but sugar coated information helps nobody at all.

i also post warnings in every one of my ebay auctions letting buyers know what to look out for & have recieved many emails from audiogon members & ebay buyers alike telling me that the info i gave them helped them avoid a scam.

if i come off as being a know it all its not the case or the intent,just the passing of information from somebody who has been hit with every scam on the planet.
Hey Bigjoe, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it! Looks like you and I both have been scammed a couple of times, and we're both after the same solution. Here's to the betterment of the online community!
Bigjoe - I am a new Audiogon member in the process of completing my first Audiogon purchase, so you have infinitely more experience in the selling/buying process than I do. However, I question your dismissal of escrow because it is “the fasting growing scam out there with copy cat names.” There is no reason for a savvy seller to end up dealing with a “copy cat” or “fake” escrow company. First, Audiogon has a direct link on its Help page to Escrow.com, one of the largest escrow companies. Second, if a buyer insists on escrow, you, as the seller, should insist on choosing the escrow company or give the buyer a choice of several legitimate escrow companies. If the seller limits the choice of escrow company to legitimate escrow companies, I doubt there is a way the buyer can highjack the transaction and move it to a sham or fake escrow company. Of course, this approach requires you to use Escrow.com or research and select other escrow companies in advance of placing your ad. You may not want to spend that time and effort.

In a related thread, “What is it with Scams,” a post on 03/01/05 by Ga5556 suggests a scam that might be worked into the fabric of a legitimate escrow: a phony e-mail from
the escrow company. In the case of the seller being scammed, the phony e-mail would confirm that the buyer’s funds were good and instruct the seller to ship the quipment. I don’t know how ingenious scammers are in creating fake e-mails, but it seems to me the seller could sniff out a fake e-mail by comparing its origin with the origin of legitimate e-mails from the escrow company. Also, a separate e-mail (not a response to the suspected e-mail) or a telephone call from the seller to the escrow company asking for confirmation should be enough to uncover a fake e-mail instruction to ship.

There may be other reasons why you do not like to use escrow companies, like slower completion of the deal and the escrow fee, but I think concerns about a fake escrow company or fake e-mails can be eliminated with a small amount of effort.

One problem area I would have about using an escrow as a seller is the acceptance of credit card payment by escrow. Escrow.com accepts credit cards and its FAQ does not
discuss the ability of the buyer’s credit card company to yank back or "freeze" the funds after the equipment has been shipped. If an escrow company told me that it could not stop funds paid by credit card from being pulled out of escrow or being "frozen," I would not use escrow unless the escrow instructions for my sale specified that payment by credit card would not be allowed.

Incidentally, I think escrow avoids a “partial refund” claim of the type described in your 02/26/05 post to this thread. As I understand the escrow process, the buyer has a set period of time after delivery to accept or reject the item. If the buyer does not notify escrow that there is a problem, escrow automatically forwards all the money to the seller. If the buyer rejects the item, the buyer does not get a refund until the seller confirms receipt of the returned equipment. There is no procedure for a “part payment/part refund” - it’s either all or nothing. And at no time is the buyer allowed to have both the item and his money (provided the credit card issue discussed in the prior paragraph is eliminated).

A further thought on the “partial refund” transaction that was described in your post. That transaction was concluded face-to-face, so the seller could have put the amp into
his system and played it for the buyer just to confirm that it was in working order before handing it over. Of course, that wouldn’t have prevented the buyer from later lying
about the condition of the amp when it was handed over, but it would have given the seller some additional ammunition. If the seller really wanted to protect himself, he could have asked the buyer to sign a receipt confirming that: (i) the amp was delivered and (ii) the buyer had listened to the amp and it was in working order. This may sound a little over the top, but if you conclude a deal in person, you might as well get all the advantages it offers over transactions that involve shipping. The ability to confirm the condition of the equipment at the time of delivery to the buyer is one of those advantages (for both sides). Also keep in mind that a seller who ships has the carrier's receipt to prove that he shipped the equipment and maybe a tracking report or carrier’s record to prove it was delivered. As a seller in a face-to-face deal, you have neither, so you should create a receipt to at least verify delivery.

I don’t claim to be an expert, so any additional comments you can provide would be welcome.
hi doug,welcome to audiogon.

i have several reasons why i dismiss escro as a buying/selling tool & i'll explain them.

as a seller i refuse to use escro for these reasons.

1 i can set up a safe cod where the package is shipped care of the buyers local ups store where he can inspect the contents at considerable less cost than escro.

2 setting up a escro deal takes quite a bit more time to do than using a simple cod.

3 the buyer gets several days to audition my gear in his rig & refuse to pay for any reason including buyers remorse & because he dont like the way my gear sounds in his rig, buyers will tell escro anything they have to in order to get the deal killed.

4 just putting these words(escro accepted)in your listing will instantly put you on the list for every con man on the planet asking you to sell to them using fake escro,when you check your mail & there is 20 or 30 offers every day all requesting escro its not a "minimunal effort" to cross check this many offers.

5 it takes forever to get cashed out on a deal from escro.

i cant think of a single reason that would make escro appealing to any seller unless the seller has zero or very low feedback or is selling his gear at premium prices to make up for all the drawbacks to his end of the deal.

now for the reasons why i dismiss escro as a buyer.

1 sellers who accept escro are less willing to give a good deal on the gear & in most cases will ask a premiun price in order to make up for all the added hasel & risk of returned gear they are taking.

2 cod is much cheaper than escro & just as safe & much faster too.

i learned the hard way by loosing a ton of cash to con's but in the long run it was cash well spent,i refuse to buy from anybody who is not a proven seller unless its pick up or cod,no other way.

there will always be a few people who dont mind using escro to sell their gear but i can assure you that allmost all established sellers will not use escro unless there is a premium charged to compensate them for accepting terms that do not benefit them in any way at all,they might not tell you their charging a premium but it will be reflected in your final buy price.

my dismissal of escro as it pertains to my buying & selling of gear has nothing to do with my post where i said "escro is one of the fastest growing scams there is",my comment on that was meant for other buyers.

alot of us joke about all the spoof email we get asking for fake escro but in reality its not a joke,these scams work & they work great,even though we all get the same kinda scam email these vultures are not looking for us they are looking for gullable & inexperienced buyers who are lulled into a false sense of saftey by the whole escro deal.

whats easily spotted as a scam to us looks like a safe deal to alot of people & most of these buyers are just like i was when i first started buying,barely able to use a computer & surley not capable of using advanced research tools,even google is advanced for alot of buyers

you were correct that the seller who's email i posted made mistakes but they were not what you mentioned,you can demo the gear for a buyer till the cows come home & have him sign recipts too but none of that will stop a charge back,the seller should of only accepted cash for an in person pick up effectivly taking away the scammers ability to rip him off in the first place.

my whole point in this entire thread was to point out that being verified was only good for a buyer & is very dangerous to a seller to have himself verified.

after doing well over 200 deals between ebay & here at audiogon ive seen it all with escro & charge back scams taking as many victims as money orders & cashiers checks.

all i can do is point out what works for me,just opinions from a guy who has done alot of deals & been burned too.

seeya.