Burned out Audiophile - Trying to Find some Zen

Hello,

Wanted to know if others out there have felt the same way.

I think I am burned out of looking for the next best or just changing gear. I have decided, it really is like chasing a rainbow. I believe, I will not get much greater joy even if I continue to upgrade (now stand around 15K worth of gear) Sure, to get new gear is fun when you first get it, but them, as always, in a couple of months, the longing for change comes back. For those who have lots of money to continue the ongoing chase of sonic narvana - they can afford the chase. For me, maybe there are other things to pursue instead of a pair of speaker or DAC. I still listen and enjoy music, but I may have come to the end of my road as a restless searcher for sonic change/perfection.

Anyone else out there have successfully jumped off the buy and sell cycle? What have you done with yourself since? Have you felt the audiophile id calling for you again?

Just some passing thoughts- thanks
Rich
rich3549
Rich -

nothing wrong w/ ' chasing a rainbow'. 2nd, this is a wonderful hobby. Each of us has a different goal or holy grail for our systems. Yours is your own!
Many very observant and relevant comments here.

"Fishboat", I especially liked your following comment:
If you can eliminate desire, or keep it in it's place (a desire in itself...hence the difference between "try" and "do"), then one can be a much happier person.

And "Nosusaural": very practical and useful information contained in your post.

After attending RMAF last year and recently listening to several audiophile buddies systems, I've come to believe that the neuroticism associated with all the very fine details of this hobby have a way of hampering our enjoyment of why we do all of this – the music. I enjoy music at my local audio store, no matter the setup and my buddies audio rooms sound quite good, so much so, that when I'm there, I don't miss my setup.

My rig is quite resolved. Could it be better: yes; do I stress over the whether the cables are off the floor or not, or how I hold my mouth when I set my Tri-Planar/Dynavector XV1s down on a slab of vinyl spinning on my Galibier Turntable, heck no!!

What I'm trying to say is that I have come to believe that we audio enthusiasts stress too much over subtle changes/gains that we oftentimes express as being huge -- notwithstanding many of the postings in Audiogon – and we fail to enjoy the music because we're listening to our amps measurements, our system’s cables, and fretting over whether our stands are handling acoustic energy properly, or whether we believe our latest new “toy” is up to snuff, or not.

I really believe that most of us that have been immersed in this hobby for at least a few years, have much more in common in terms of what we believe is "right" than otherwise. Far too often I feel we're disagreeing about nuances rather than really meaningful differences, or as others have said, are chasing the holy grail of audio, when there really isn’t one.

For example, my son and I recently went to a buddy's house. He collects & repairs early 20th century radios. While at an event involving like-folks, he acquired a pair of 1950's NOS raw 15" drivers with a tweeter mounted in their center, with 1 capacitor apparently acting as a crossover. Not having a clue about speaker design, he quite randomly mounted these drivers in the first enclosures he found in the Parts Connection catalog & did no tweaking. Surprisingly, they did more things "right" than otherwise. He’s driving them with a pair of Fisher tube monoblocks that he acquired for a “song” (no pun intended). My son & I focused on the system’s positives, which were much more than it’s negatives and enjoyed the music.

This whole hobby should be more right brained than left. Most of us arrived here from a great love of music. We simply want to have the performances be as believable & emotionally moving & involving in our homes as we can make them. Measurements & other's experiences help designers get close to that end, but our ears and emotions are the final arbiters of what's "right". Can what we have be better, you betcha'! But that defines the human condition doesn’t it -- always wanting more.

There is a fine line between constantly chasing "better" and being satisfied with what we have and experience. I really believe we get much too caught up in the chase because that's what we find easy and fun to do, but we also need to focus on simply enjoying what we have and in the case of audio, the beautiful sounds & music that most of us are presently experiencing & enjoying!
I was burned after 20 years of struggle to find perfect sound system. I went to all hi-end audio stores and shows to find the best sound system. Once I found the perfect one, it will be a final destination of my quest for sound. Money was no object! I'd save money for many years for the perfect sound. However, I found out that money can’t buy the perfect sound system! What do you do if you were disappointed with best sound systems (>$200k) in every shows and stores? Those sounds will not be my final destination. They didn’t satisfy my ears. 100 years of research and development from so many people and companies, this is it? I thought there had to be a perfect sound system to satisfy my ears! I am afraid there was none. So, what do you do? Give up?

You build one! Finally, I built my own speakers which sound better than anything I heard in last 30 years of searching for sound and I am very happy with my sound system now!
My last purchase was to go in the "other" direction and "settle" on some Marantz Reference line components and in the end, I'v got the best sound that I've had so far. Throw in some basic power conditioning and different ICs and I find myself wondering what all the fuss has been and where my head's been at, or up. :-)

I think I've got this all behind me as I still have my older set up and am in no hurry to sell it, which I find strange. It just sits there, gathering dust, probably as a reminder to myself that they were never the brass ring but sure did look the part as I went 'round and 'round.

Funny how some "mainstream" components that proper audiophiles wouldn't deign to listen to can give one immense musical satisfaction. I think that while everyone's been eyeing the latest and greatest out there, advances have been made that've enabled some makes to more than catch up and depending on the price point, surpass the esoteric brands.

All the best,
Nonoise
I'm a vintage lover so cost is relatively modest for me. However I routinely have my purchases rebuilt/upgraded. But I also resell some components albeit usually at a loss. I love tinkering with the gear to bring out it's full potential. It's a big part of this hobby for me. Some of that old stuff gives sota a serious run for it's money. I'm picking up a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's in great shape tomorrow except the woofers need new surrounds which I will install myself. My Roy Esposito TNT200 monos will have no problem making those Kappas shake the house! I love big dynamics. When my JBL 4345's on steroids are finished I may have to reinforce the foundation! I'm changing them up with 2206 mid-bass and 2441/2309/2310 compression drivers and horns/lenses. It's not as much a quest as it is an adventure. Otherwise there's no fun in it:)