Advice from apartment dwellers

Looking for speaker /amp / acoustic treatment recommendations and insights for listening at lower volumes in an NYC apartment. I listen mostly to jazz, classical, and world music, with an occasional foray into rock. Sources are a Scillia-modded AR turntable and an Oppo 105. Not really interested in headfi.

Any insights appreciated ~ thanks!
128x128mdemaio
Try Balanced Audio Technology VK300-SE matched to Thiel 2.7.
You'll want to upgrade to NOS 6H30 "Super Tubes" (made 20-30 years ago for Soviet Air Force) to realize unit's full potential.
Single crystal wire completes the picture (Wireworld, Harmonic Technology, etc.).
You can find budget room treatment at Guitar Center.
How is your apt. situated? By that I mean are you on the ground floor, 2nd floor, etc. Are you sandwiched between neighbors or do you have an end unit? What is the construction/composition of the walls, floor, and ceiling? Are they concrete or some other less dense material?

You may find that down-firing subs will cause more "boom" being transmitted to those below. One thing to consider is to see if your neighbors would allow you to listen to your system from within their abode. Then make system/setup changes and see how it sounds.

This may help you to mitigate any unwanted sounds from disturbing them and would surely show them that you are trying to be a good neighbor...

-RW-
I have the same issues as you. I would go for a pair of Harbeth SHL5s and perhaps an integrated with tone controls like Marantz or Cambridge, assuming that's high-end enough for you. You might also want to mount the speakers closer to the floor like on the Mapleshade stands, which will naturally reinforce the low end.
Give up the speakers, it is a lost cause. Move to a good set of headphones Unless you have a pre WWII apartment, you will never get the ability to listen at sound levels that make the hobby enjoyable. I do live in an apartment, but I listen during the day when all my neighbors are out working for the 'man'. Works out fine.