6L6WGC/5881 Tube choices for Amp

Dear Friends,
I have a small system in my office which punches out 40 Watts (sounds like 80 really) in pentode configuration.

I currently have the stock tubes on em - not bad, but i feel with the power tube change, things can go really sweet.

I have no knowledge on Tubes, Frankly on Ebay a quad matched pair
can range from 400-900.00 i do not know if its worth it to spend that
kind of money.

However,i am keen on changing the ECC83 to Brimar NOS.

Any help i can get is really appreciated!
thegoodarcher
Thegoodarcher, I believe that the "W" is a military-spec designation re tighter tolerances, but same electrical characteristics and interchangeable. I am sure someone more knowledgable here can give a more detailed explanation. The Svetlana's in your link are not original Svetlana made in their St. Petersburg factory before the company was sold to US-owned Sovtek. As I am sure you are finding out there are many different opinions re the quality of tubes manufactured at different facilities even when by the same company. The general concensus is that the original St. Petersburg Svetlana's are the best. The one's in your link are not those; I referred to these:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/sed-winged-c-6l6gc/

More expensive than when I bought mine a couple of years ago, but Kevin at Upscale Audio is as good a person to deal with and as knowledgeable as anyone, so I would encourage you to contact him.

These are described as older production as well, but if you look closely they are not the same as the one's from Upscale. Again, contact Kevin.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Winged-C-SED-6L6GC

You may find this interesting:

bin/documents/testreport_44.pdf>http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi
bin/documents/testreport_44.pdf

Lastly, and especially since you are interested in trying a different input tube, personally I would do that first. My experience IN MY AMP has been that it makes a bigger difference than the power tubes. My favorite is the W German Telefunken 12AX7. Good luck and have fun with this, you will hear many different opinions and it can get very confusing; but good tubes make a big difference and well worth the investment.
Thegoodarcher - Really can't help much on the power tubes. But for the ecc83 the only Brimar I have is the yellow 'T'. Nice but a tad dry compared to my Gec CV6091's (similar but pretty expensive). Have you tried or considered Telefunken ecc83 or ecc803? That's another I like a lot. I have to say like Mechans said the Gold Lion re-issue are nice. As far as vintage Mullard CV4024's they are a nice warm sounding tube (no experience with the re-issue from Russia). Which brings up my next statement. When I had Dyn C1 Signatures speakers the Mullards sounded wonderful. But when I upgraded to the Raidho D1's it wasn't wonderful sounding anymore. I went back to the tele's and Gec.

Time to chime in on this thread regarding your speaker consideration. I had to send my Octave V110 (110W)in for a minor repair when I had the Raidho D1's and got an Octave V70SE (70W) loaner. Not much difference in sound (I previously owned a V70SE). Then I upgraded to the D2's. Sounded good with the same tubes. When the V110 got back the D2's sound better with a bit more control. So the extra power (40W) made them sound a bit better. Although the V110 can use EL34 6550 KT88 KT90 KT120 and KT150 (yes I have them all except the KT150)(no power gain with the KT150 because the Octave was designed around the KT120) I find the tubes that sound best with the Raidho's will be the most linear and detailed sounding tubes. With the Dyn's warmer sounding tubes sounded the best. The Rca 5751 black plate was killer with the Dyn's but too warm (like the Mullards) with the D1's. If you go with Magico I can't really comment what tubes would sound best. But IMO the only way you're really going to know is by trying various tubes. But there lies the beauty with tubes. As long as you have the necessary power there is no real need to swap amps - just roll tubes in and out.
Dear Frogram,
Wonderful Pointers! and thank you so much!

Dear XTi16,
I am actually nearing for a decision to go with the D2s but just holding to
hear from one more manufacturer!

As far as the tubes go my Metropolis Amp has KT120 Output tubes which hopefully i can change to KT150 - but i do not know if theres fidelity increase or power increase, i need speak to the manufacturer.

But you are right - the preamp tubes have the greatest change as far
as playback quality is concerned, the note about Raidho works better with sometubes is a revelation.

It could have been confusing because i was earlier talking about the Synthesis Metropolis in the Raidho thread, and then Another Synthesis Here - these are not the same!

The One which will go with the Raidho or Magico is the
Metropolis 200 NYCi Integrated 240 Watts Monster.

The one for this post is the
Synthesis Shine Integrated (40 Watts Pentode Pull Pull) which
i use with Zingali Home Monitor Plus 2.10.

It Rivals some of the best setups at 3x its price!

For this mini amp i am going to take yours and frogma's advice and
source a telefunken!
Going from the KT120 to the KT150 will NOT give you any more power. You will only hear the sonic differences. Someone on another forum just upgraded from KT120's to the KT150's on an Arc Ref75 and just loves them. But he probably doesn't have 20 hrs on them yet. I want to wait to hear his impression after 100hrs or so. IMO the KT120 is a slightly dry sound with 'shouty' mids. I'm running Ei KT90's in high power mode and really like them the best so far.
I am running Tung-Sol 6L6G fat bottle tubes in my Quicksilver Mid Monos and they sound great. They look cool too. They seem well constructed and have held rock steady bias.