McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
Autoformers on pwr. amps in the 21st century. Who da thunk it? Guess it takes time for the news that transistors are low impedence output devices to reach Stone Age Binghamton.
Autoformers in the 21st Century! Who`da thunk it? Guess it takes time for the fact that transistors are low impedence output devices to reach Stone Age Binghamton.
prozoib, been waitin a year now to see that killer rig of yours,i guess you only give answers.
I had an MA6900 for 6 months but couldn't get it to sound pleasing even after changing sources cables etc. It was beautiful and the build quality was outstanding. But, I sold it here and the new owner sold it within 2 months; said it was 2 dimensional. I'd have to agree.
Porziob: Single Ended Triodes in the 21 Century! Who'da thunk it? People vote with their pocketbooks so in looking at how well McIntosh is doing, I'd say they got elected. If they don't get your vote, that's fine. I think they are aware of the transistors low impedance and it's more about impedance matching: lower it for tubes, raise it for transistors. Bottom line is if there was only one way to do things, everything else would be falling by the wayside and I don't see that happening.